Tennessee > Memphis: Pig on Beale

Matt B.

TVWBB Super Fan
We ate there yesterday. It was not originally on my list of places to try, but it seems that last month they won Best Ribs at Memphis in May, so I figured it was worth a shot. My wife had their pulled pork sandwich, I had the ribs.

The pulled pork was average at best. While very moist, it lacked flavor both within the meat and in the very thin layer of bark. Their "spicy" sauce rounded things out, but the pork could not stand on it's own by any measure.

The ribs, however, were outstanding. And I've eaten some ribs in my time. They were cooked perfectly, with just the right layer of mahogany bark and brushed very conservatively with a sweet glaze. No additional sauce was needed. They were as tender as you could ever want, but stopped just short of lacking the texture and that certain "toothiness" that are the hallmark of well cooked ribs. They were spiced with something that I can't quite place - It reminded me of coffee, almost. I wish I knew what that spice was...

If you like good coleslaw this place is worth a shot. The fries were very good, too. They have two sauces on the table: the already mentioned "spicy" and also a "sweet" variety. Both are good, but nothing to write home about.

I have never had any better ribs in my life. No joke. I could eat these things every day.

Back