Paint issue on my mini WSM

John Mongrue

TVWBB Member
I am at the painting point on my first mini and am not happy with the finish. As I am not the best painter, I believe my build was too heavy during the process or too much overspray. The finish is rough, like the texture of 80 grit sandpaper. I can knock some of it down with steel wool, but fear applying too much pressure will take it down to the bare metal.

Suggestions, thoughts or any advice appreciated...

Thanks,
John

I had the same issue, bought an IMUSA pot from Wal Mart, washed it and wiped it down with Acetone. used "Engine Enamel" by rustoleum, paint would not stick in some places,looks awful!!!

I did not use the engine primer color as a base. I have another thread that explains what I did to correct some issues and my observations about what caused my issue. I believe my cots were too thick and with some step sanding, I corrected it to a satisfactory finish, but I will do on the next build!

I did not use the engine primer color as a base. I have another thread that explains what I did to correct some issues and my observations about what caused my issue. I believe my cots were too thick and with some step sanding, I corrected it to a satisfactory finish, but I will do on the next build!

Figured out what happened to my IMUSA pot. I DID NOT wash my pot down with vinegar/water solution. Talked to a friend of mine that paints cars and he said the first thing I should have done was to wash it with that solution and let dry. The vinegar is the best cleaner for aluminum!
Oh well,, next mini smoke I will try it!!

Back