anyone else here cook for only 4 people tops and have

old smokey joe plus performer or one touch silver or gold?

i have a two month old 2010 performer but I use my smokey joe way more often than i do the performer.

the performer i use only when i do ribs and to start my chimney starter with the propane ignition for coals for the smokey joe.

im starting to wonder if i should sell the performer. to add to that i have more fun using the little bugger for some reason.

yep, thats an issue. i use the sj more than the kettle now also. but i have no plans in getting rid of my kettles. i plan on getting a performer, a old red ss one, just because. but i think that you should keep the performer unless there is a space issue. if you do then for sure you will need a kettle for backup.

I cook for my wife, myself and my two boys (5 and 3) and choose my Performer over my SJP 100% of the time.

Why do you find it more convenient to use the Smokey Joe?

I cook for 4 too and always use my Performer. I like to cook our side dishes on the grill too if I can and am always running out of real estate.

if i'm just cooking up a few steaks or chicken or, i just use the sj. i use lump and get the temp way high. but yea, if i'm doing more than a few and doing sides then it will be the kettle. but as i've been doing more on the sj i find it more versatile and it is a misser on coals/fuel and kinda fun. but then thats why we have all the differant weber cookers.

Got a family of four here too. If it's just a hunk of meat (tri-tip, salmon fillet, chicken quarters, lamb shoulder), then SJ* works fine. If it's lots of small stuff (Korean short ribs), or a variety of stuff, then the OTP (cheap man's Performer ;-) gets the work out because of the acreage.

I seem to target the smallest thing that works. I find smaller is usually more convenient.

Back