Second smoke on WSM - Beef shoulder roasts

CullenJ

TVWBB Super Fan
I just threw two beef shoulder roasts on the smoker. We have some friends who raise their own cattle and when they butcher one, sale much of the product to friends/family. They're completely grass fed and so far we've been rather pleased with the product. To date we've only grilled some strips, rib eyes and sirloin and we've used the ground beef in various ways. This is my first low and slow with the meat. I expect good things.

1-30BBQ03.jpg

It's a cold one in Memphis. I like to say that we're packed in ice for fresher delivery.
icon_smile.gif
It was 31*/feels like 21* when I put 'em on.

1-30BBQ02.jpg

Used a simple rub - the same I used on a brisket I did last weekend. Brown sugar, paprika, garlic and onion powders, chili powder, salt, cumin - good stuff. However, after reading up on some people prep techniques, I think I'm gonna cut the salt from my rubs and salt the meat directly to avoid over salting.

More pics as things develop.

Cullen J... Looks like a great start. I did 2 shoulder roast last Wed, but unlike you I had to buy them at Albertsons @ $1.99/lb. low and slow till 135 deg and placed in refer to chill overnight. Thursday I sliced them with my handy-dandy cheapo electric slicer. Ended up with almost 4 lbs of rare-med rare beef for sammies.

Good luck...

joe

Back