Highest Temperature achieved in Mini WSM

ChadRex

TVWBB Super Fan
I know the Mini WSm is designed to be a "Low and Slow" smoker.
I wanted to know what the highest temps peole are able to get maintain.

For example if I were to smoke a turkey on my Mini WSM, i usually like to have the temps around 300-325.

On my full size 22.5 kettle i would have to add add about 1/4 to 1/2 chimney abou 2.5 hours into the smoke for my Turkey.

So is the mini WSM capable of maintaining low 300's Temps for 3 hours on one chimney of coals?

Chad,

With the bottom completely cut out and depending on how much lit coals I start out with I can easily achieve 400F+ within minutes. But 350F is the max I'd like to use the mini at. Best to experiment.
I usually use a full chimney load, lit up to about half way up the chimney, then dump into the kettle. The unlit coals will end up at the bottom of the kettle, and the lit ones on top.

3hrs at that tem should be no problem.

I basicaly have the same set up as you do and on my last cook ( a tri tip) I held 2hrs at 350 with the charcoal basket filled. had about 75% of the coals left over after the cook.

I place an empty can in the center of charcoal grate the size of a hormel chili can. Then Fill up the rest with charcoal. I light up about 12 briquets and place them in the empty can and then remove the can. Afterabout 30 to 45 min I was hitting 350 and held it there with no issues. With smokey joe silver, you can do without the charcoal ring and really load it up with charcoal for longer burns.

These things are a beast, like the civics of cars. I will be cooking on this little beast a lot.

I'm able to hit about 450°F at the top of the dome when I'm roasting a chicken or meatloaf. That's with both vents wide open and all the charcoal in the bowl lit up. I'll still end up with 33% to 50% of my charcoal when I'm done. I have a cast aluminum lid (2 different sizes) that I bolt in as my heat diffuser at the bottom of my tamale pot. ;)

I can even slow roast and then sear a steak/burger/hot dogs/sausage with that temp range as well. ;)

The biggest variable here is how much lit coals you start out with. How your mini is set up is secondary.

My Gold mini held 450F for 2.5 hrs with half a chimney of lit charcoal.. initial burn.. this with an empty alum frying pan as heat deflector

Back