Sand in the 22 - How much?

J Solenberg

TVWBB Member
I've been searching posts and I can't find an answer to this. Lots of people swear by using sand instead of water in the waterpan, but how much sand? Full? Half full? Just cover the bottom? Also would adding a clay saucer or pizza stone with the sand make temp control better, worse, no difference?

Found these over on the BBQ forum.
HTH
Tim
On edit.. IMO adding a stone or saucer to a full pan of sand would be overkill, remember that's a lot of weight in a 22" pan.

Well I had already done a search for "sand" and read a bunch of the posts. I found a lot of opinions about whether sand was good or not but I couldn't find any discussing how much to use. I'm sure that information is probably buried in there somewhere but after 15 minutes of reading dozens of semi-related posts I just decided to get lazy and ask the question.

It was the fifth one down, I believe it said the sand should be one inch down from the top of your bowl.
I don't use sand, just a saucer.
Tim

I used sand for a long time in the 18 - never have used water. Converted over to the crumpled aluminum covered with two layers of foil. Nothing wrong with sand, just the foil is a whole lot easier. Also, if you have read any of the posts concerning leakage through the aluminum into the bottom of the pan on the 22, consider what your sand is going to be like. I have had the grease infiltrate sand on the 18 and it turns into one hard clunk.

Ok, good, an inch from the top. But that does take me back to your previous edit. Sand an inch from the top on a 22 would be a lot of weight all by itself. I wonder how much weight those tabs holding the waterpan can handle? I also like the idea of the crumpled foil. It's amazing that there are so many ways to do this, each it seems with their own advantages and disadvantages.

There is a lot of weight in the 18 pan. I'm sure the 22 tabs can take it, but ...........?

We are all going to try different ways and settle on what is best for you. That is what this forum is for. Try to experiment and find different ways that work for you.

Dan

Originally posted by Dan N.:

We are all going to try different ways and settle on what is best for you. That is what this forum is for. Try to experiment and find different ways that work for you.

Agreed.. Learn your WSM than YOU decide what works !
icon_wink.gif

Tim

J,

I’ve used water in the pan, a dry pan, sand in the pan (about 2” from the top so you have a drippings reservoir), a clay saucer, the saucer in the pan, sand in the saucer and the pan in the saucer. I now just use the saucer as the heat sink, and place the foil lined pan in the saucer to catch the drippings. That works the best and is the easiest to clean up.

Back