The 90/9/1 Rule

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
In reply to my first musing, member Don Fry wrote:

As far as the forum goes, I wish we had more people participate.

A related comment is one you sometimes hear when the winners of one of our prize drawings is announced, and I'm paraphrasing here:

Wish one of the active forum members would win once in a while...

What's interesting is that online communities experience what's known as participation inequality. Research shows that in most communities, 90% of visitors are lurkers who never post a message, 9% of visitors post occasionally, and 1% of visitors account for almost all of the posts.

On a really big site like Wikipedia, 99% of visitors are consumers of information, but just 0.2% of the 32 million unique US visitors actually contribute to the content of Wikipedia.

Of course, there are downsides to participation inequality, and you can read about them in the first link above. But at the end of the day, the experts tell us that there are few things anyone can do to move these percentages. To a certain extent, there's comfort in knowing that what you experience on a forum like TVWBB is not unusual--that this phenomenon is common to most mature communities.

Why do people lurk? This Wikipedia article discusses some of the reasons. At the end of the day, we have to remember that lurkers are the majority. They're the ones reading most of the posts. We should not be surprised when someone from the majority wins a prize drawing. We should offer a friendly, welcoming environment in the hopes of converting lurkers into posters. And I will continue to do what I can, like making some prizes available only to posters, to encourage people to register and post messages, as in the recent Q&A sessions with Kevin Kolman and Famous Dave Anderson.

So what do you think? Why do you lurk at some forums and not others? What motivates you to post? What do you think can be done to convert lurkers into posters? Or should we even be worried about that?

To be honest with you guys this is the first and probably only forum that I have joined and made posts to. I will admit having no experience with previous forums I was intimidated on how to setup my profile and make posts, I never introduced myself like I see many new members doing. What attracted me to this forum was the wealth of knowledge being shared here. I would like to thank Chris the moderator for making this forum easy to learn and making information available on how to setup profiles, add posting and pictures, once you get the hang of it...it is very easy. There are also some GREAT members on here that have provided me information as well. As far as winning something??? I never expect to win anything, I'm just impressed that this forum has drawings.

I'm living proof that active members win in MR A's contests! I have a very nice,signed Cook's Country cookbook thanks to the wonderful guy who runs this amazing forum! Sorry Chris,I ran out of adjectives!

I'm living proof that active members win in MR A's contests! I have a very nice,signed Cook's Country cookbook thanks to the wonderful guy who runs this amazing forum! Sorry Chris,I ran out of adjectives!

Me too! I have a package arriving today from Amazon with a 3rd of it being paid by Chris. Thanks for the Gift Card Chris!!

Well I can't win because I don't live in the US of Eh. But that doesn't bother me. Chris is nice enough to make prizes available which is great. I've stopped going to most forums because members can be very unwelcoming and jump all over you if your opinion differs from the norm. Here we have a happy, most of the time, place we can talk about what we love to do with very little conflict.

Thanks Chris

I guess I am one of the really lucky ones as I won a cook book and also a tee shirt - two separate WINS. Yoha!

This is also the only forum that I post on - and is my first one to participate in. Chris does an amazing job and I am proud to be a member of such an excellent forum.

Ray

While I do post a little bit on other sites, I am an enthusiastic daily user and poster on this site. I think the reason why I jumped in is because this site is SO WELCOMING and has such value to people who have the bbq passion. The good vibe felt just makes you want to participate and contribute.

Chris, I wouldn't be surprised if this site breaks the 90/9/1 rule because of its professionalism and friendliness. I think you might get 80/19/1 (1 is still for the folks on this site that we all know and love (e.g. Jim/Tony/Wolgast among others). Have you looked at the numbers?

Thanks again for letting me play on this site.

Chris while this is the only BBQ board I belong to, I also frequent two fly fishing boards. Having said that, I would agree with your 90/9/1 assessment. I don’t think there is much you can do to change it. I say that because this is probably one of the friendliest and easy going boards around and if people choose not to participate here, I doubt they will anywhere. Frankly I wouldn’t worry about it.

What motivates me to post are the people here. Everyone seems to enjoy sharing their knowledge so how can you not wish to reciprocate? I’m a relatively new member but consider many of the members friends even though we haven’t met in person. This “opportunity” to visit with friends, is also a great motivator.

Regarding the contests, I’ve been fortunate to win a couple and consider myself an active member. By nature of your 90/9/1 rule, getting winners who are not that active is going to happen. Bottom line, you’re doing what you can….. something about a horse and water?

As has been said, thanks for making this such a great site.

Before I joined I would just look and saw that everyone was friendly and it was an active forum. Then I joined and was worried about posting and thinking will my post get a good reaction. Now I'm posting like a crazy man.
I'm very comfortable here and you guys have meet my family. I even meet Steve A and Bob Bass. I can say I'm addicted to bbq and grilling. I drive around Southern California for a living. I'm always looking out for weber stuff in yard sales. I'm on here when I'm waiting for my customers....

When I first got into low n slow with a dedicated smoker instead of the kettle, I started on a ECB with a side fire box so, I found and frequented another site that is geared to all kinds of cookers and general BBQ topics. I fall into the 9% there because I still go there from time to time but it's a totally different atmosphere there.

When I graduated to the WSM I sought out experts and a community for that cooker which brought me here. I like it here. I particularly like the interaction with BBQ Big Wigs Chris has as guests, the regulars I've been able to get to know over time, the special days like Smoke Day and Grill Fest, and the throwdowns. I have even been fortunate enough to win a throwdown and a raffle but believe me I was as surprised as anyone when I did.

I transferred some of my knowledge from the other site and the old ECB to the WSM, but I believe most of my improvements for low n slow -- and grilling, which I considered myself a pretty good hand at -- have come from the members here. So, I probably fall into the 1% here. I keep coming back due to the atmosphere.

Last edited:
For me, choosing to lurk or actively participate in a forum comes down to a few simple things:

- Friendly, open-minded, and welcoming members.

- Civilized & accountable discussion when there are different viewpoints on a particular subject.

- No condescending tone from experienced members when a beginner asks a basic question.

- Free-flowing sharing of knowledge.

- No "boys with toys" attitude when members talk about their stuff. Members should have the right to feel proud of their equipment, gadgets, materials, etc. no matter the price or quality.

I guess it all boils down to respect, really.

For me, choosing to lurk or actively participate in a forum comes down to a few simple things:

- Friendly, open-minded, and welcoming members.

- Civilized & accountable discussion when there are different viewpoints on a particular subject.

- No condescending tone from experienced members when a beginner asks a basic question.

- Free-flowing sharing of knowledge.

- No "boys with toys" attitude when members talk about their stuff. Members should have the right to feel proud of their equipment, gadgets, materials, etc. no matter the price or quality.

I guess it all boils down to respect, really.

Someone frame this and hang it on the wall! Well put Jerome!

To be honest with you guys this is the first and probably only forum that I have joined and made posts to. I will admit having no experience with previous forums I was intimidated on how to setup my profile and make posts, I never introduced myself like I see many new members doing. What attracted me to this forum was the wealth of knowledge being shared here. I would like to thank Chris the moderator for making this forum easy to learn and making information available on how to setup profiles, add posting and pictures, once you get the hang of it...it is very easy. There are also some GREAT members on here that have provided me information as well. As far as winning something??? I never expect to win anything, I'm just impressed that this forum has drawings.

Welcome James Lake! Better 165 posts late than never.

Well I can't win because I don't live in the US of Eh. But that doesn't bother me. Chris is nice enough to make prizes available which is great. I've stopped going to most forums because members can be very unwelcoming and jump all over you if your opinion differs from the norm. Here we have a happy, most of the time, place we can talk about what we love to do with very little conflict.

Thanks Chris

Me too Bob.

I didn't join to win stuff.

In a way, we all win here because of all the tips and hints and solutions we offer/receive. I can get all the recipes I could ever dream of anywhere on the net. To "win" a book here would be nice/gift certificate as well but really, you show me an interactive book that will help me with a problem like folks do here and I'll buy it. Doesn't exist IMO.

Till then, offer all the prizes you want Chris.

I've already got the greatest gift of all: help from a dedicated bunch of smokers who love what they do :)

I feel that most people lurk to gain knowledge but begin to post when they feel comfortable that they have something worth offering. At least that is how it has worked for me in the past.
As far as getting people active, I know of forums that make you post an answer to a question(no right or wrong answer) or post a picture of something as your entry. You basically have to reply to a thread to enter. Once people register to the forum to reply to a give away they are more likely to become an active member.

I think many are simply intimidated by posting something that they are not sure is correct, or just feel they do not have a good enough knowledge to add to the subject, which never made me post less:cool:

As for winning something, we all win knowledge. I did not win the last contest as I did not enter, because I did not know about it to enter, so my fault. But then, I did win a Challenge contest and didn't "win" a prize for that either, but did gain experience.............post up..........................d

Last edited:
Moving the "New WSM owners" section to the top could change lurkers into posters.

Adding a forum - New to Grilling/Smoking/BBQ - no question too simple - could generate more first time posters.

The friendliness of the replies is what will keep people coming back.

Other - have you done an analysis of how close this site comes to the 90/9/1 rule?

For me it's part time issue and part feeling that I don't have much to contribute.

As far as time is concerned, the most time I spend in front of a computer is while at work. Since they don't actually pay me to hang out online all day there is usually more time to read than to talk, and even then I have to sneak it in while waiting for the network to catch up to where I need it to be. When I get home I have a wonderful wife and a toddler that have been waiting to see me all day (and a couple of pets, and on a really good day a Weber or two to fire up), so there isn't a lot of motivation to spend much time online.

Then there is the "not much to contribute" syndrome. With the wealth of information and knowledge on this site I often get overwhelmed, and unless I am asking a question or posting photo's of a successful (or otherwise) cook, I often feel like I don't have much to add, especially in the limited amount of time I have or choose to spend online.

But for what it's worth I certainly feel like I'm part of the community here. Even if all I ever do is ask silly newbie questions comment on how hungry the photo gallery makes me.

Back