Maverick 732 probe "repair"...

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I have enjoyed the use of my Maverick 732 IMMENSELY. Those who have them already know what I am talking about. I left my BBQ probe hanging from my WSM overnight and it rained. The next time I tried to use it, I got an error signal ("LLL"). They no longer offer the short probes that the unit came with. You have to buy the longer, more expensive probes. They can be expensive, too. Direct from Maverick, the price is $20.00 each (the whole unit cost me only $60.00 from Amazon). I have no need for longer but that is my choice. Maverick was not much help. I wanted to order over the phone and the lady told me I would have to order online (???).

At any rate, I went to Amazon, checked out the prices and lo and behold, I learned that Maverick now offers a Hybrid probe (it works in either role - Food OR BBQ temperatures). That means you only have to have one as a spare (I want to be able to depend on my equipment, of course). However, there is a fly in this ointment, also. Amazon only offers them in pairs (with six foot cables) for just under $30.00. I had a happy accident. I ordered a pair of them but when the package arrived (in only two days as I have Amazon Prime) there was only one probe inside (a Hybrid, of course). I called Amazon and they offered to take it back. I told them I needed it and didn't want to send it back. They offered to refund half the price. This was more than acceptable to me (I realized later, since it is a hybrid, I only need to carry one extra so I really lucked out). Again, Amazon proved to be a worthy seller. I bought my WSM from Amazon (through this web site) and LOTS of other things. They have excellent service in every way as far as my dealings with them. They are "stand up guys" in my book.

Now, the REST of the story:
I put my "damaged" probe in my toaster oven (with the plastic connector outside the oven to avoid heat damage) and baked it at 200 degrees for twenty minutes. I left the probe inside the oven until it cooled off. It is now working perfectly. I am extremely happy - and I have a spare if I need it.

If you are having probe problems because of inadvertently getting it wet, or-r-r, you might want to try my "trick" and see if it doesn't work for you before you toss that "damaged" one.

FWIW
Dale53;)

Last edited:
Although folks don't recommend it, I always just toss my Maverick and BBQGuru DX2 probes in the diswasher, which makes them like new. I purposely take them out before the heated drying cycle and just leave them on the counter for a day or two to dry out and they are always fine. If I ever did run into an issue, I too would just stick the probe end in the oven for an hour or so and that should do the trick.

$20 you got a bargain. Amazon ca. wants $40!!

Ain't gonna happen.

Your oven trick didn't work for me :(

plugged in anyways (showing LLLLL's) and after 30 min in the smoker, now it's working.

Don't know how or why but glad it is.

If you need replacements, amazenproducts has them for $14.

Thanks for this heating trick.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a way to add cable/wire to extend the length of the shorter Maverick probe wires?

Back