Leave probe in for brisket cook?

Jack Henry

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I've tried to search for an answer to this on the boards, but haven't turned one up.

Planning to do a 5.5lb flat this weekend high heat. I've been reading up on it on the boards and am looking forward to giving it a shot.

I understand that I want to get the brisket up to a certain temp before foiling (seen some say 160, others 180, I'll investigate a bit more), and then foil, finish, rest, etc. I also understand that once you're into the foil, don't worry about temps, but tenderness, and it's ready when it's ready.

All that is a long set up for a short question: Does anyone leave the probe in the brisket for the first, pre-foil, part of the cook? Or do I risk losing too much moisture? Obviously, I'd remove it regardless for the foil part of the cook.

Thanks.

Jack, most times I will use a temp probe in the flat just so I can get idea what the temp is so I know when it's time to foil, if I'm going to foil. This way I don't have to open the cooker to check temps several times.

I tend to leave it in, before and during foil, for large pieces of meat. My stated reason is to minimize lifting the lid; real reason is that I'm lazy. That being said, and still being new to briskets, I pulled at an internal temp 205-210F, instead of testing for tender. Result: Edible, but not delectable; day after reheats were noticeably better.

Hoping the more seasoned cooks will <STRIKE>correct</STRIKE> chime in...

I leave it in as well until foil. I think that any moisture loss during first part will be negligible as during foil part there seems to be minimal moisture loss.

there are definately differing schools of though on this. And no "right" answer

Some, like me like probed to help tell us where we are on temps. I like having the bbq guru eyelets to put the probe through and not have the wire crimped by the lid.

Others feel brisket is done when its done ...but when your just starting out the probe is one indication of when your approaching that. Some like to cook to a finish without foiling for a better bark and "burnt ends" ma ny like to foil to ensure tenderness.

Experiment and have fun!!!

Thanks guys. I'll probably leave the probe in for the first attempt at least.

Happy bbq to all this weekend. Gonna hit the 50's in the northeast this weekend!

no reason not to leave it in........for that cut of meat it will give you a rough idea when to turn/foil/whatever, but you want to employ the fork tender test instead of relying on temps imho.

best of luck........remember to post details and pics in the BBQ forum!!!

wsmsmile8gm.gif

I don't bother with a probe....lazy.

At about 2 hours, I'll check with the thermapen, and usually it's around the 160's when I foil.

Typically it takes me closer to 2.5 hours to get there.

Back