Remove bottom of pot completely or just drill holes???

Bob (SmokeyBob)

Originally my plan was to cut many 1" holes with a hole saw, but now I'm leaning towards just removing the entire bottom of the pot.

What are people's opinions and pro vs. cons of each method?

Not removing the bottom will restrict the height of the coal basket (if you're using one) and the amount of coals you can load up. Also, having the diffuser sit so close to the coals don't give the coals much breathing room.
I cut the bottom of mine out after experimenting with the drilled out bottom.

As others have mentioned, removing the bottom not only gives more clearance for a 3" deep charcoal basket but also limits the restriction of air flow, (As other have shared based on their experiences with 12" vs 9" pans for use as heat diffuser. the 12" diffuser signification impacted the ability to maintain good consistent temps.
The only advantage I can see in simply drilling holes is the pot can be used to transport things when not in use but using the steamer insert creates a base for that use.
It is much easier to drill one hole and then use tin snips and cut a 12 inch diameter circle out of the bottom. ( I traced the bottom of steamer insert to get my diameter.)

You can always drill the holes first do a few test cooks and if you find the need to cut out the base then you can always do that later.

Remember...Don't remove "the entire bottom" as you need to keep the curved based to maintain structural integrity of the steamer pot. leave about 1/2 to 1" lip on bottom of pot

Enjoy the project..

Thanks everyone, I think I'll move forward with cutting off the bottom. Yeah sorry I should have been clear that I wasn't going to cut off the entire bottom :) I'll probably leave close to a 1" lip.

I have left my bottom intact. Only drilled the holes along the bottom outside of the pot. I have never had a problem with this set up. Works perfect

I am with Jarrod. I just drilled holes and use a pan setting on a trivet as my defuser. I have to right to get my temps up to 300 but it runs rock steady anywhere between 225-275 for its entire load of fuel. But for what I use it for, this is a great problem to have because I don't make anything it that requires temps above 275 nor am I overly concerned with ultra long cooks. I have plenty of other tools to use if I want to either of those. This works for me, but definitely understand why those that wish to do more with their mini's may want to remove the bottoms.

I cut about a 12" diameter out of mine leaving a ledge that I rounded up into the pot so it can catch any drippings. It's also about the perfect size if you do a fire ring fer the coals, too. ;)

With my setup, I can bolt in 2 different sized cast aluminum lids that act as drip/water pan, heat stabilizer, and heat diffuser. :D

Back