Washington > Bellevue: Dixie's BBQ

John Mason

TVWBB All-Star
Went to Dixie's for lunch on Saturday (9/11/2010) with my brother. He's been talking about the place for years. I had a brisket sandwich. Brother had the same. A friend of his had the "420" sandwich - a hot link covered in pulled pork. The brisket was good, nice smoke ring. THe rice and beans were saucy, but the flavor was very good. I'm used to drier rice and beans.

And I met "The Man." I think I've been scarred for life.
icon_biggrin.gif
Whew, I just dipped the tip of my fork in that sauce and it het up that entire sandwich. Now I just think about that sauce and my scalp itches and I start salivating. I don't think I'll ever recover. I have a container of the stuff in my fridge now and I don't know if it'll ever get opened again.

Write-up on Dixie's BBQ

Unfortunately Gene Porter, the owner of Dixie's and maker of "The Man" passed away last February. His wife and daughter continue to run the joint.

Gene was such a fun guy to be around. When I used to eat at Dixie's, he'd walk around the picnic tables brandishing his old crusty pot full of "The Man" as if it were a weapon not just a sauce (which, it basically is).

On one occasion, he and I had a miscommunication and he gave me FAR more of The Man than I wanted or (as it turned out) could handle. I ate it anyway or at least tried to. I only got about half of it down and the pain that day came in 4 parts:

1) Initial burn of the lips and mouth - started on the first bite and lasted for a couple of hours
2) Nausea - The Man caused my stomach some problems on the way home
3) Cramping - The Man had made it to my lower intestines and they were not happy about it
4) "Exit" - Let's just say I had Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" running through my head

Good BBQ, though.

Back