Webber temp gage is out?

Mick N

TVWBB Member
Just sparked up a 2009 model 18.5" WSM Checked temp with an accurate digitherm, The reading is 235f
The webber gage reads 190-200f
Could there be an explanation before I send the gage back?
I was able the measure very close to to the webber probe.
Im starting to wonder if any of this type of BBQ temp probe is accurate enough.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Cheers

In my opinion, a barbecue thermometer is accurate enough if it's within a few degrees of the boiling point when tested.

The Weber therm comes out easily. Test it in boiling water and see what you find. If it registers something in the range of 209-215*F, I would consider it OK. If it's well outside that range, I would ask Weber for a free replacement.

Remember, we're not making science, we're making barbecue, so being off a few degrees isn't going to ruin anything. Household ovens are routinely off by 10, 15, even 25*F or more and yet somehow we survive.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Thanks chris, Im not too concerned with a few degrees out but 40f is a little off putting.
I will do as you suggest and see what happens.
In any case I use a Australian standard approved Temp probe to get "The real heat"
Would just be nice if the existing one was close enough to true reading

OK, I stand corrected.
I did the boiling water test.
Digitherm = 99.9 deg Celsius
Webber gage= 100 deg Celsius smack bang on.
This raises a whole lot of questions.
My digitherm only reads at the very tip of a 5 inch probe.
That makes it easy to point it in through the top vent and get it very close to the webber gage.
so why the different readings under the lid?
Ill be doing a pork butt Sunday night and I shall trust the webber gage and see what happens.
For the last 12 years I've been doing this all on a Kettle so please bear with me as I get acquainted to the WSM

Thanks

You're dealing with a very dynamic temperature situation inside the WSM, and you're dealing with two different types of therms that respond differently (the digital is fast and measures only at the tip, the Weber therm measures more slowly and the entire length of stem conducts heat to the bimetal coil that turns the dial).

My advice is to not lose any sleep over this. Trust the Weber therm and have some fun making barbecue.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Regards,
Chris

Thankyou, I did just that, I just turned out the best pork butt ive ever done.
The WSM burnt at 225F for a full 18 hrs with a full basket and using the Minion method.
I cannot believe how easier they are to control over the Webber Kettle. And how constant the temp remains.
These WSM's are worth there keep.

if i am not mistaken thermometers with very small probe areas are designed to be inserted into meat and its more of a measure of the temperature of an item. therms like the weber lid therm is a measuring device to measure the ambient air temperature (which no therm is terribly good at) or temperature of a liquid when making candy.

Back