Pulled pork dip

RyanB

Hi all,

I lurk these boards all the time picking out good tips, so though I'd contribute back.

Yesterday I was tasked with bringing an appetizer to a BBQ, and at the same time I have 6 lbs of pulled pork hanging out in deep freeze from my last big smoke. So I did a variation on a chicken dip I love and put the pork to use. (Excuse the approximate measurements, I never really measure stuff out when I cook, just go by feel/taste)

2 blocks Philly cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
small amount of milk
1 shallot, chopped finely
pulled pork (I freeze in quart freezer bags, so maybe 1 - 1.5 lbs?)
spicy bbq sauce for pulled pork (I just made some up quick with 2 parts ketchup, one part cider vinegar, and a whole lot of hot sauce)
canned jalapenos (could use fresh w/ seeds removed)
1lb cheddar cheese (could use less, but I like cheese!)
cole slaw (probably 2 packages of the pre-chopped stuff)

Preheat oven to 425.

1. Mix the cream cheese with sour cream and shallots. Helps if you have a stand mixer to do the lifting. Add milk to soften it up (or more sour cream as desired) until its nice and spreadable.

2. Heat up the pulled pork if its not already hot with the sauce. I usually "rejuvinate" my frozen PP in the microwave with apple juice and cider vinegar. Mix with desired amount of spicy BBQ sauce. (The chicken recipe I had used Frank's Red hot buffalo, but I didn't have that and not sure how it would taste with PP).

3. Make cole slaw. I was lazy and just used the packaged stuff plus sauce. I imagine you could really experiment here and get some different flavors.

4. Dump the cream cheese mixture in a 9x13 casserole and smooth out until its a thin layer on the bottom.

5. Layer on the pulled pork

6. Add jalapenos. I only did half the dish in case people didn't want the heat.

7. Layer on the cheese.

8. Bake in oven until its bubbly and the cheese is getting a nice brown crust. Probably 15-20 mins.

9. Remove from oven and dump on the cole slaw.

Serve with chips for scooping.

Worked out really nicely, some people were too stuffed for the main course! :)

Back