What is crushed red pepper?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
What kind of chile peppers do restaurants use that are on the table in the little shake jars that you put on your food for a little heat. I always called it crushed red pepper and would like to have it in my kitchen.

Dave,

I think different suppliers use various types of chili peppers. To my knowledge, there's no one type used and very well likely a blend could be found in those shakers.

Paul

Right. And some use a blend to moderate, lower or raise the heat level of the chile they use as a base.

I feel like what I see most is red (more ripe, older, whatever you want to say) jalepeno's including seeds, Im not exactly positive though. I think this because there not exactly scortching hot, but do have a nip on your tongue. Hotter i've always assumed to be cayenne crushed. Again just taking a swing/guess at it. I've only noticed the thickness being different. Already noted I have been to a few places where the seeds even looked different along w/ the color as well. When there dried and crushed up it can be awfully hard to tell for me.

Those are my thoughts also Dan. It's always redish with a little bite but not overly hot. And it's flakey, not powder. I don't know, it was just something I was curious about.

We always have a jar of McCormick Crushed Red Pepper on hand!

The wife won't eat pizza without it.
icon_wink.gif

JimT

last year i smoked some cayenne peppers on the WSM for a few hours at 90º then put them in a dehydrator for the rest of the day. whenever a recipe calls for crushed red pepper i use a few of those and throw them in the mini chopper. they are great on pizza too.

I grew these a couple of years ago then dried - Thai red peppers, they still have lots of flavor, much better than store bought...I keep a couple in a small motor and pestle on the kitchen counter.

I had a bumper crop of cayenne peppers one year (grown in two big flower pots on my deck), and they made really good crushed peppers.

Back