disposable foil pan to catch drippings.

Jerry P.

TVWBB Super Fan
In order to aid water pan cleanup, is it acceptable to place a disposable foil pan on the bottom cooking grate above a full water pan?

I guess you could, but you'd be adding unnecessary heat deflection. In other words, you would sort of take away the reason why the TOP main cooking grate temp is more consistant all the way across. It's not sitting right above the pan.

Nevertheless, I guess it wouldn't matter if cooking one uniform piece of meat like a butte.

I do this all the time with smaller cooks (2 butts or 6 racks--- ya know my portion
wsmsmile8gm.gif
). I use a ceramic saucer with no water though. I get the foil buffet liners from Sams Club and kind of elongate the sides and ends a little to spread them out. They really help with the clean up.

Jamie

If the foil pan's smaller than the water pan and just a couple of inches above I don't see how it can affect the top rack in any meaningful way. Obviously if there's something big up there you're not going to catch everything, and if you want to use both racks this won't work, but if you just want to keep the worst of the fat out of the water pan nothing bad's going to happen if you put a medium sized foil tray in there.

Hey Jerry, I've converted to no water in the pan. Just a couple of foil lined bricks in the pan. Everything is still juicy & cleanup is a breeze!

Back