Heat Diffuser / Water pan location

ChadRex

TVWBB Super Fan
I know the debate is on going as to what the ideal size and type of heat diffuser to use,

My question is does anyone use the heat diffuser as a water pan/ drip pan?

When I smoke a Turkey I like to have a Water pan filled with Water down Apple cider/apple juice this gives me the mositure and the flavored steam.

I am thinking of designing my Mini WSM witha waterpan/diffuser set up similar to the way the Weber WSM has it.

On the Weber WSM cooker there is a water pan/ difuser mounted under the lower Grate aprox 5" above coal basket
Weber WSM (18 .5") dimensions:Water pan 14-3/8" x 7" 2 gallons
Distance between water pan and charcoal grate = 5-3/4"

, I would like to somehow have this set up. Not sure how to go about doing this. ** See Update below***
Something where if i wanted I could add some water or apple juice if smoking my Turkey, IMHO it keeps the turkey moist, and assist in maintaining slow steady temps.
From my experience and from what I read on the Weber WSM the water pan is an important part of the temperature stability of the smoker.

***Update***
I found this design for what I am looking for, functions as a difuser and can also be a water pan.
It provides the function similar to what the Weber WSM water pan does.

Has Any one actually fashion a water pan/ difuser under the bottom grate? like the one posted in the link below?

http://www.quarkquark.com/personal/index.php?content=content_miniWSM.html#anch

Unfortunately the dimensions of the pan used were not posted in the reference.
from looking at the pictures it looks to be a 9" x 2" deep cake pan (similar to a camping dish)
Now I have to find one that is thin enough to trim down, deep enough to hold some water and high enough off the coals
Thank s for any replies.

Mahalo,
ChadRex

Last edited:
I have only one cooking grate because I have a water pan mounted below it. I have bolts thru the pot holding the pan by the edge. Incidentally, I don't use water in it! LOL

Thanks for the replies, although the difuser idea on top grate simple solution without having to using any tools or spend extra time money.

on the Weber WSM cooker there is a water pan/ difuser mounted under the lower Grate, I would like to somehow have this set up. Not sure how to go about doing this. ** See Update below***
Something where if i wanted I could add some water or apple juice if smoking my Turkey, IMHO it keeps the turkey moist, and assist in maintaining slow steady temps.
From my experience and from what I read on the Weber WSM the water pan is an important part of the temperature stability of the smoker.

Any one actually fashion a water pan/ difuser under the bottom grate?

***Update***
I found this design for what I am looking for, functions as a difuser and can also be a water pan.
It provides the function similar to what the Weber WSM water pan does.

http://www.quarkquark.com/personal/index.php?content=content_miniWSM.html#anch

unfortunately the dimensions of the pan used were not posted in the reference.
from looking at the pictures it looks to be a 9" x 2" deep cake pan (similar to a camping dish)
Now I have to find one that is thin enough to trim down,

Last edited:
It's very simple to mount a bowl (a suitable, shallow stainless steel bowl, for instance). All you need are 3 longish bolts (cut to exact length) to support the lip of the bowl. That's how my inch deep pizza dish is supported and I simply place my lower grate on that if I need it.

It's very simple to mount a bowl (a suitable, shallow stainless steel bowl, for instance). All you need are 3 longish bolts (cut to exact length) to support the lip of the bowl. That's how my inch deep pizza dish is supported and I simply place my lower grate on that if I need it.

thank You for the reply.
Do you have Picture of link of this set up?
What is the size of your water/drip dish -Circumferential and depth?

Mahalo,
ChadRex

Back