Steak Sauce

Bill Pearson

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Folks, I'm looking for a steak suace that I could make and keep on hand for a while (in fridge), I just find the store bought sauces lacking in flavor
icon_smile.gif

You might try:

.5 c water

.25 c raisins

Bring the water and raisins to a simmer; cover and turn off the heat while you prep:

2 Tbls minced shallot

1 garlic clove, peeled, crushed

.25 c 30-year-old sherry vinegar (very reasonably priced, aged sherry vin is available at Whole Foods)

.5 c ketchup (I like my own or the organic ketchup available at Trader Joe's)

.25 c Worcestershire

.25 cup Dijon mustard (definitely not cheap yellow)

.5 tsp fresh or not-from-concentrate orange juice

.25 tsp grated orange zest

.25 tsp black pepper

.25-.5 tsp ground chipotle

pinch ground thyme

pinch ground marjoram

3-4 drops lemon juice

Pour the raisins and their soaking water into a bowl. Return the pot to the stove and heat 1 tsp neutral oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the shallot and cook 30 secs. Add the crushed garlic clove and continue cooking 45 secs more, smashing the garlic clove a few times and stirring. Remove the garlic clove from the pot and immediately add the raisins and their soaking water.

Add all other ingredients except the lemon juice. Bring just to a simmer then lower the heat to low and barely simmer for 15-20 min.

Next, either purée the sauce then strain through a fine strainer or simply strain through a fine strainer, in both cases pressing on the solids to extract juices.

Allow to cool a bit the adjust salt. Stir in lemon juice, cool, then fridge.

Kevin, that sounds great! I love good mustard and just picked up some TJ's Dijon that might just do the trick, and my oranges (and lemons) are just now starting to ripen so I'll have plenty fresh juice, can't wait to try this
icon_wink.gif

Back