Problem with my HM

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
Interesting problem with my HM. I hooked it up at my desk to check a possible bad Maverick probe and I was able to log on to the HM with my password. That works fine so I know that I can communicate with it, but no probe temps are displayed and in the configuration, it is showing the probe 3 as disabled. When I enable probe 3, and try to enter a default for the probe coefficients, the drop down pops down and I select the et72 but nothing populates in the A, B, C locations. They are blank.

So to recap, I am communicating via wifi and am able to talk to the HM but nothing shows up on the home display. No temps at all. Everything, including the set temp is blank, and the probe 3 coefficients won't populate or communicate with the HM.

Any idea's?

Hit the "Reboot AVR" button on that page. Sounds like you either had a lot serial errors or loaded the page before linkmeterd had fully pulled the config from the HeaterMeter. Rebooting the AVR should reload it.

Has your HeaterMeter board somehow become disconnected from the rPi board? I've never seen it consistently not be able to populate the settings any more than once, and even then it is a really rare occurrence. It shouldn't display all the fields unless it has gotten _some_ sort of communication. I wonder if there's a Javascript error that making it unable to fill in the settings or something? I have no idea really.

Took case apart to see if rpi was properly connected but it was. I assumed it was because I have access via wifi. An interesting thing I just noticed, when I disconnect power and then reconnect it, the four way switch works. After about a minute or less, the switch stops responding. Left, right, up, down, or press center, all work but after a minute do not work. Whatever the screen says at that point stays on the display. If it would help, I can install IC4 and see what happens?

Is is possible that the SD card is corrupted and should be reburned?

Just installed the IC4 and powered up the HM4 with no rpi. The HM4 works properly in this mode. The multi directional switch operates consistently. I will now reattach the rpi and see what happens.

Last edited:
No the SD card should be fine. There's two separate parts here, the (A) HeaterMeter and the (B) rPi/LinkMeter. The A seems to be locking up for some reason but your B is working fine. The SD card, wifi, and website is in the B and can operate without A attached, or with a defective A.

You could try a config reset from the HeaterMeter button/lcd (before it locks up). Plug the power in and press the button to the right until you see "Reset Config? No" and press Up (so you see "Yes"), then right again.

Just tried the config reset three times. After the third try it worked. All is now working perfectly. Thanks for the help. Would I be correct in assuming that the multi directional button is a little sensitive in its operation?

It is a 1 amp supply. All is working now. I doubt a power problem since only the hm/rpi was connected with 4 temp probes and no fan. Once the reset with the multi switch took all is fine. What is your thought?

The directional button sensitive? It is either pressed or not. There's not a whole lot of travel from one direction to the other, but that's the nature of a button that's got to be crammed in a small space. The original HeaterMeter had 4 separate tactile buttons, but I didn't really care for them being all separate because it felt like it needed two hands to operate. The circuit is identical so someone could build a daughterboard that holds 4 buttons instead of one if they preferred.

In playing with the switch with the system back in the case, I notice that the hole for the button could be a bit bigger. That would help some, but when the unit is not in the case, the button is still a little touchy. Not a big deal since I now now even more about this wonderful unit. Even with a few problems, it is the best thing going. I am going to build a second unit for my Performer since there a some things I will still cook in it that require the lid being closed and acting kind of like a smoker. Also, it does not hurt to have a backup especially when it does not cost much since I already have everything except the circuit board and the rpi and a fan. No big deal.

It is a 1 amp supply. All is working now. I doubt a power problem since only the hm/rpi was connected with 4 temp probes and no fan. Once the reset with the multi switch took all is fine. What is your thought?

Sounds to me like the HM daughter board is locking up. I would think the most likely culprit would be unclean power. Either a low voltage or noise from the PS.

For the fun of it, I will get a better power supply. In my work, phones, alarms, and home theater, power is always an issue to look at. Good call.

For what its worth. First time I used heatermeter was with 1 amp wall wort. It went wacky during cook with fan on constantly and button switch not working, probe 3 went disconnected. Power cycling returned it to normal. I purchased a high quality ul approved 5 amp security camera power source from ebay for $30. Has worked perfect ever since without hiccup even on a 12 hour cook.

Don, do you have a link to the ebay power supply. If I can get a part number I can probably get it from one of my supply houses. I'm a low voltage contractor.
Sounds very similar. Not quite the same but close.

Back