Is it working?

Peter vR

Finished up my assembly this morning, testing it first with a wall wart 12V power supply (knowing that nothing would happen since I did not install IC4), just thought I'd try it before plugging it in my rPi.

I plugged it into my rPi (SD card previously installed with the OS). Imagine my surprise when the whole shebang fired up with none of the magic blue smoke escaping!

I cut the RCA plug off the rPi before even attempting to mount the HM4, however I found that the blue line out connector on rPi clashes with the shift register IC.. and I'm not talking colour schemes here ;( See attached photos.

Anyways, plugged in a couple of probes, checked out the web UI and I could see temperatures woot! I assume this means the ATmega328P got successfully flashed? I think a saw the HM4 orange and red LEDs flash momentarily when booting up. Played around in the configuration a bit, checked that the blower (not connected) responds to the set point, everything seems awesome... except there's nothing at all on the LED display? I can see the backlight is on from the side of the unit but it shows nothing at all. I tried a few of the configuration settings, including increasing the backlit to 100% but nothing at all.
Is this expected or is something wrong?

Also, on the parts list, is there a fan connector included that I just overlooked? I have no way to connect my fan yet, will have to pick up a connector.

RURvCtg.jpg

cdHdsUz.jpg

6MzlPDb.jpg

a8g9gd0.jpg

uOotbDA.jpg

M9EOSjX.jpg

R4v06gW.jpg

QE6fJQz.jpg

89410T3.jpg

R2oD4r4.jpg

Reading your post I didn't see where you tried to adjust the LCD potentiometer. Turn the screw one way or the other and see if your LCD starts working. If you only get the top row to show solid blocks then reflash hm.exe from configuration page and you will be good to go. As far as the part fit, that part is black on both my rpi's version B. The black part falls just short of the chip legs, might want to check with someone who knows more than me to confirm it can be cut off also. Dan

Last edited:
Reading your post I didn't see where you tried to adjust the LCD potentiometer. Turn the screw one way or the other and see if your LCD starts working. If you only get the top row to show solid blocks then reflash hm.exe from configuration page and you will be good to go. As far as the part fit, that part is black on both my rpi's version B. The black part falls just short of the chip legs, might want to check with someone who knows more than me to confirm it can be cut off also. Dan

Lo and behold, like a ghost out of the fog, text appears. Spot on Dan, thank you!

Bryan, maybe I missed this bit in the wiki or it can made a bit clearer? Also, the assembly instructions talks about diodes, after the resistors & ceramic caps. Took me a few minutes to figure out referring to the rectifiers (the packaging only says rectifier, no mention of diode). Maybe you could make a mention of that in the wiki too, help others clueless about electronics such as myself :)

Done! Didn't realize they didn't say diodes on the packaging. Strange that your headphone connector hits the shift register like that. All of mine touch but sit flat. I wonder if they've switched to using a different part with a teeny difference in the dimensions that make them incompatible now. I'll try to move that part for future revisons.

Back