carry on maverick?

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
I was planning to take my maverick remote and probes on the plane in my carry on. Wondering if meat probe might get TSA freaked out and they take it. Anyone done this?

Chris, I dont have direct experience with this but as no one else has responded, I thought I'd give you my two cents. In addition to cooking, I'm a knitter and "can we get our needles on the plane" is a new constant topic in the knitting forums.

First it is always recommended that you go to the TSA website and check for what is allowable and what is not. Printing anything which speciifies that your item isnpermissabkenis always a good idea.

After that My answer for you is "it depends". TSA is well within their rights to take anything they perceive as beigna problem. The key is to create context where it does not appear to be threatening.

It is often recommended to knitters that they use a interchangable needle (which is abiut the same size as a probe). It has furthermore been recommended and I have successfully done this, to put these needles in a pencil case with a couple of pens that are metal. It would protect the probes and they would most likely look like another pen in the xray.

We want the needles in our carry on because we want to knit during the flight. However the other option always open for you is to packed in your checked bag.

I have used the above referneced pencil case method with success. The only time I had anything pulled was when I had a cocktail fork in my diaper bag. Ironically that same bag contained a sock in progress on metal circular needles that were longer than the fork and far pointier, but it was the fork which was confiscasted. :)

Good luck!

Chris,

My experience says that if you are even a bit in doubt, do not try to carry on. On recent trip to ATL, I cleared the checkpoint with my a wine corkscrew. On retun trip. ATL folks took the corkscrew.

A few weeka ago, my wife and I went to Nicaragua, and her small fingernail scissors cleared two checkpoints. However, leaving Managau, they seized the scissors. TSA does not seem very coordinated and some of them are not "customer focused".

I would not ty to carry on the probes. Have you considered "overnighting" them to your destination address?

Ray

TSA is a massive boondoggle. Next time you're in security take note of how many "agents" are flirting, shooting the s**t, standing around doing nothing, or otherwise worthless. I'm sure these people collectively let 10,000 prohibited items onto planes in the USA each month.

Back