2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
24 ounces beer
6 (4-inch diameter) onions
Seasoned Flour (See Below)
Creamy Chili sauce (See Below)

To prepare batter, mix cornstarch, flour and seasonings until well-blended. Add beer; mix well.

Cut about 3/4 inch off top of onions; peel onions. Cut onions into petals, being careful not to cut through root end. Remove about one inch of petals from center (core) of onion. Separate petals to coat thoroughly.

Dip cut onion in seasoned flour and remove excess by shaking. Mix batter to blend ingredients. Dip onion in batter and remove excess by gently shaking.

Gently place onion in fryer basket and deep-fry at 375° to 400° for 1 1/2 minutes. Turn over and fry 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

SEASONED FLOUR

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

CREAMY CHILI SAUCE

1 pint mayonnaise
1 pint sour cream
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix well; refrigerate.

I have the Great American Steakhouse Onion Machine I use for these - it works pretty darned well, but is no longer available for purchase, although a number of them are up for auction on Ebay - Amazon carries several different brands, ranging from a few dollars all the way up into the hundreds of dollars....

This is on my "have to try"- list for the winter! I have never tasted union this way, only seen it on pictures.

By golly "Rooster" - You finally did it. lol. Every since you told kaz you were going to post this onion recipe I've been looking everywhere to see where you might have posted it. I even went to your personal profile and saw you had no email address listed or I was going to drop you a note. BTW - Thanks for posting this. Sounds good and I'm glad I was persistant in looking for it. It is weird though, the things we will go through since retirement just to get a recipe. This one does sound like a winner. Thanks. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:
This is on my "have to try"- list for the winter! I have never tasted union this way, only seen it on pictures. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geir, make sure you don't forget the sauce - but you don't have to wait for winter when you cook yer onion, as it's pretty good as a dipping sauce on a number of things....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Another Bob B:
By golly "Rooster" - You finally did it. lol. Every since you told kaz you were going to post this onion recipe I've been looking everywhere to see where you might have posted it. I even went to your personal profile and saw you had no email address listed or I was going to drop you a note. BTW - Thanks for posting this. Sounds good and I'm glad I was persistant in looking for it. It is weird though, the things we will go through since retirement just to get a recipe. This one does sound like a winner. Thanks. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bob - let me know how yours turns out.

I got the same great american onion machine. I still keep mine all together in the og box and use it atleast every other week. I wasn't impressed with any of the sauces offered in the recipe book that came with it. Thanks for posting up yours.

Back