From start to finish at a comp

Tammy Williams

TVWBB Member
I once saw a link that someone had on here that gave times for EVERYTHING they did during a competition. Everything from arriving, setting up camp, prepping, fire starting, turn ins, etc etc. Does anyone have that link handy?

Thanks
Tammy
De'Boners
Stanton, TN

icon_eek.gif
Whoa! WAAAY Too much work for me!
I'll stick to cooking for my home judges
icon_biggrin.gif

The link to the Time Chart is really great. Tammy if you do use this I would suggest tweaking the times your meat go on to how you cook. Yours make cook quicker depending on methods, temps, and lbs of meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The link to the Time Chart is really great. Tammy if you do use this I would suggest tweaking the times your meat go on to how you cook. Yours make cook quicker depending on methods, temps, and lbs of meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

trust your recipes, the last thing you want to do is to look and see what others are doing and change accordingly. Things are amazingly variable, mostly due to cooker types. And even among wsm users. Our schedule is different from when we only had 2 wsms, now we have 3.

but you all ready knew all that
icon_wink.gif

We usually start butts around 12 am, and very early in the morning we'll start ribs and a HH brisket. The key for us is to schedule a 4-5 block of time during the night when not much is going on and we all can get decent rest.

Just to be clear. This is Oakridge BBQ's timeline. They were kind enough to publicly post it for teams to use as a guide. Your mileage may vary.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks, ya'll.....we've already started tweakin', cuz we generally cook a whole shoulder instead of butts.............but its definitely a great timeline.

Tammy
De'Boners
Stanton TN

As a non-pro I have a question. The Oakridge BBQ Timeline shows Ribs comming off at 11:30am but Turn in not till 12:30pm. Unlike the Butt and Brisket there is no mention of foiling the ribs. Do they really rest uncovered for 1 hour? That seems like a lot of time uncovered.

They may rest covered, but more likely that's an estimate of when they might be done. Some ribs will take longer than others. Remember, you're turning in ribs at 12:30, so they are going in the box at say 12:15 at the earliest, so with slicing, boxing, etc, 11:30 wouldn't be the end of the world.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
They may rest covered, but more likely that's an estimate of when they might be done. Some ribs will take longer than others. Remember, you're turning in ribs at 12:30, so they are going in the box at say 12:15 at the earliest, so with slicing, boxing, etc, 11:30 wouldn't be the end of the world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yea when adding in the rest time, slicing and boxing I guess that makes sense. Thanks Pat.

Sorry I missed this post everyone. Thanks for the kind feedback on the timeline. As was mentioned a couple times, your times will vary so just use this as an idea-starter.

Regarding the specific rib timing question, we include a half-hour of padding just in case our spares need a little more time, as is usually the case. Very rarely are they ever done early. Then, they go straight from the pit to the cutting board/prep table where we start building our box.

Please be sure to holler with any additional questions!

Thanks,
Mike Trump
CEO, Oakridge BBQ LLC
www.OakridgeBBQ.com

Hey Mike, are your rubs sold anywhere in the StL area? Our friend John Eddy was braggin on them and that's good enough for me. I gotta try em! Thanks!

Not in St. Louis yet... if you have any suggestions where I should start, please let me know. However, for the time being, we have very low shipping rates on our website, if you'd like to order there. We'll send you a sample four pack (6 oz. Total) for only $3.50 shipped anywhere in the US...

Mike, being a relative novice at this level, why do you rest your butts and brisket so long, and what do you use to keep them hot. I can't imagine my coolers keeping then hot for that amount of time. Any secrets you care to share?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Frailey:
Mike, being a relative novice at this level, why do you rest your butts and brisket so long, and what do you use to keep them hot. I can't imagine my coolers keeping then hot for that amount of time. Any secrets you care to share? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No problem, John. I used to keep my butts and briskets in a warmed cooler for this length of time with no problem. The meat was still too hot to handle with bare hands and well above 140º even after all those hours. We built the time into the schedule to give us extra cooking time just in case we needed it. We also used to cook at a higher temp then I do now. Then, we cooked at a 275º average, now we stay down in the 225º range.

I don't get to compete much anymore because of my new rub business keeping be much busier than I ever imagined... HOWEVER, if I were competing again today, I wouldn't hold them this long. I'd cook at 225º and try to time them so they were done right around one hour before I'd need them for turn-in. We found that holding them for as long as we used to allowed them to keep cooking in the cooler and resulted in overcooked meat.

Hope this helps.

Mike
OakridgeBBQ.com

Back