Moink Balls

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
A friend of mine made these this past weekend. For those of you that don't know its a meatball wrapped in bacon dusted with rub and then grilled and then sauced. At least that is how he made them.

I was thinking about trying to improve upon the recipe ala JRPfeff's Redneck Sushi compared to the Bacon Explosion.

My friend used premade italian style meatballs. I would make my own and alter the seasoning from a italian meatball to more like a burger. I would nix the rub maybe and make a sauce that would pair better with beef.

Any ideas? They were OK at best. Italian style meatballs and sweet bbq sauce is not a combination that I would have made.

An Italian version might be nice with a salsa verde (the Italian one, not the Mexican) or a tomato-roasted red pepper sauce, perhaps with some grated cheese for sprinkling.

A burger-esque version might be nice with a salsa verde (the Mexican one), a roasted pineapple sauce, a red chile sauce. or a crema made with minced jalapeños and a little lime, perhaps with some cotija for sprinkling.

Wow! Thanks for all of the great ideas. Now that is what I call stepping it up! As always thanks for the help.

I'm about as much as a DIY'er as they come, so I appreciate what you're trying to do. With that said, I don't think I'd mess with the moink ball formula. I've tried them once (a fellow comp team was dishing them out as midnight snacks) and expecting the worst, really enjoyed them. I didn't really think pre-made italian meatballs, bacon, and bbq sauce would work but they did.

I suppose, if you are determined to change the recipe, might I suggest a bacon wrapped ball of ground lamb with a yogurt based sauce.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I didn't really think pre-made italian meatballs, bacon, and bbq sauce would work but they did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One of those 'in the mouth of the beholder' sorts of things. I found them pretty horrid myself.

In any case, I interpreted the OP as meaning that Gerry had tried them and wasn't too impressed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One of those 'in the mouth of the beholder' sorts of things. I found them pretty horrid myself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they held a certain charm in a dorito kind of way.

I was thinking about making some burger mix and forming a meatball around a small cube of cheese then wrapping in the bacon with out sauce or rub at all.

I wasn't very impressed with the Moink Balls as is. I'd rather have some ABT's or ADT's.

Back