Maverick ET-7 issues...

joe_c

Did my first smoke this weekend which came out really good (8 lbs butt, mr brown).

but the wireless signal would cut off after 5 minutes. i reset it about a dozen times before i gave up and just walked out to the WSM every half hour. the WSM was 30 feet from the house.
took the reciever inside it died. 40 ft away, one wall between us. then i left it outside on my other grill 30 feet away, no walls of course.
then i moved it as close the the WSM as i could while still being able to read the numbers through the window and it still cut off.

it was about 35-40 degrees out. I don't know if that matters.

on superbowl sunday i had it on while grilling some pork tenderloins and it stayed connected the whole time. it was colder that night.

any advice or input would be appreciated, if i get a free moment I'll call mavericks customer service number.

Originally posted by Rick Soliman:
Open the garbage can and toss the ET out...you dont need it with a WSM they keep temps perfectly!

I have come real close to that Rick.

The best advice that I can give is that the batteries have to be fresh, I use rechargeable batteries. Every time I use it I recharge them and it has worked most of the time.

I bought one of these around Christmas 2008 and didn't open it for a couple of months. When I tried to use it, it never worked properly. I tried resetting, re-reading the directions over and over, fresh batteries and everything I could think of. It never did work. It may have been user error but I'm usually pretty good at getting things to work. I finally got fed up and tossed it in the trash can.

Pat

I never had any luck getting the receiver to work reliably even at short distances. I just dangle the transmitter unit out and mostly use it as a food probe. Using it this way means there's no alarms or anything, but at least you don't have to lift the lid to check temps.

Thanks guys.

I'll continue to use it the same way Doug does.

Annoying though, you pay good money for this junk. Will call them directly and see if they have any excuses.

Some folks have had success with the Maverick, but mark me down as another one of their unhappy customers.

The one I have sits in the bottom of some drawer somewhere in the house. If anyone can find it, they can have it.

I would not endorse that product.

Sorry to hear people have trouble with their ET73. I use mine with no problems. Alarm works, etc. Joe, I'd give Maverick a call and see if they can replace yours. It's worth a try.

Back