Tender Quick / Pink Salt Help

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
Well I'm finally getting around to making this:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...80069052/m/269108791

I need a little help. The recipe calls for 1 cup of kosher salt OR 1/2 cup of Tender Quick, plus 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. I don't have tender quick on hand I only have pink salt leftover from making bacon. How much pink salt should I add? I was thinking 1 cup kosher salt, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp pink salt. Will this be enough pink salt? The recipe only calls for a 12 hours cure in the fridge.

1/2 tsp. of pink salt probably wouldn't be enough to affect it one way or the other. The 6.25% of sodium nitrite in a 1/2 tsp. is fairly negligible.

So how much pink salt should I use? I know for 5 pounds of bacon I used 2 tsps. What exactly is in tender quick?

Tender Quick is mostly salt and sugar with a little of each of sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate. Pink salt, aka Prague Powder #1, is 15 parts salt to one part sodium nitrite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc:
Gerry, Here are some links you might find useful/interesting:
One
Two,
Three </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THe first link gave me my answer thanks for the help. It said 1/4 tsp per pound and I used 2 pounds so 1/2 tsp felt right to me. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back