White Salsa

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
While it may be standard fare across the country, just about all the local Mexican restaurants around these parts offer, as a free appetizer, a bowl of tortilla chips accompanied by two bowls of salsa (sauce); one red, and the other, white.

One restaurant in particular, now closed, was renowned for its white sauce, and the owners steadfastly clung to the secret recipe. Despite the best efforts of others to try and duplicate it, it remained the best in the area. The story goes that one of the cooks left, taking the recipe along, and began sharing it with others; eventually, it made the local newspaper's food section recipes. While I can't vouch for the accuracy of that account, I can say that it IS delicious, and worth a try. If you have more than a few people over, you'll want to double the recipe - it goes fast:

1 C Miracle Whip
1/2 C milk
1/2 Tbl chopped garlic (I use the bottled kind)
1/2 Tbl ground cumin
1/2 Tbl dried oregano
1/2 Tbl crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbl sour cream

Whisk together all ingredients until blended well. Let sit for at least 3 hours, but it's much better when it sits in the fridge overnight. Serve with tortilla chips.

NOTES: (1) You MAY substitute skim or low-fat milk for whole milk; (2) I find one teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to be sufficient, even in the doubled recipe; (3) If it's too thick for your tastes, add a bit more milk to thin; (4) and last, but most importantly, DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT REGULAR MIRACLE WHIP - it will NOT taste same otherwise! Enjoy.

Hey Rooster - Wow - Thanks for posting this salsa recipe. I just copied your onion recipe and noticed you had posted this also. It sounds great and will definitely give this a try. I would invite you to drop on by and stir up a chip/salsa or two, a few rounds of golf and a couple of fingers of Macallan Scotch but you're a "fer" piece from here. I live on a golf course in Washington State. Thanks again for the recipe. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1 C Miracle Whip </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT REGULAR MIRACLE WHIP - it will NOT taste same otherwise! Enjoy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lost me right out of the gate on this one Rooster. No doubt it taste good but I'll never know. Years ago had a <STRIKE>bad</STRIKE> horrible experience with the MW and haven't been able to touch it since.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Another Bob B:
Hey Rooster - Wow - Thanks for posting this salsa recipe. I just copied your onion recipe and noticed you had posted this also. It sounds great and will definitely give this a try. I would invite you to drop on by and stir up a chip/salsa or two, a few rounds of golf and a couple of fingers of Macallan Scotch but you're a "fer" piece from here. I live on a golf course in Washington State. Thanks again for the recipe. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:Years ago had a <STRIKE>bad</STRIKE> horrible experience with the MW and haven't been able to touch it since. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the invite, Bob, but I'm not too hot on golf - it's a gentleman's game, as you know, and consequently, I'm not welcome on too many courses!
icon_biggrin.gif
I do appreciate the kind words, though;

Mac, sorry to hear about your bad experience with MW - I s'pose you might be able to try mayo and "sweeten" it with sugar, but I couldn't guarantee the results....

Talked to my daughter last night.
She made a batch for my grandson's birthday party tomorrow.
They both tasted it, and then immediately made another batch!
Can't wait to try it for myself!

Back