Rub shaker?

Bryan Marriott

TVWBB Member
Hello all. I'm pretty new to this and was wondering if anybody knew of a good shaker for the rub? Either something I could buy or make.

Thank you

Actually I figured out how to search. I am seeing people use parmesan shakers and mason jars.. Any other suggestions for store bought products?

Thanks

Welcome Bryan,

I have a couple of glass shakers, the type that you might see holding dried red pepper. The top has larger holes so you have to watch it. At times I've taped over some of the holes to restrict the rub.

Paul

got a few of these off Amazon. I've been satisfied.

dredges are nice, but I prefer ones with slightly larger holes. And I've found ones that include a plastic lid that caps the whole thing. Make sure to find one that the metal lid screws onto, I can't stand the ones that have the two bumps that you drop and turn onto.

I've fooled around with mason jars some. They are nice because you can store the rub right in the jar (there is an argument against this since I'm often handling it with dirty hands so a secondary container is helpful so you don't foul the whole supply). You can drill some holes in a lid that can be swapped out for an intact lid for storage. They also can be vacuum sealed if you have a food saver with the accessory hose and sealer. And the coolest thing is that mason jars can fit right onto a blender for grinding.

I just use one of those round Ziplock containers that has the screw on lid and I drilled some holes through the plastic lid on one side, It seems to work quite well.

I make my own rub. I buy paprika, chili powder ,cayenne., Lawry's etc in quart plastic shakers &!put my rub in an empty.

I misplaced my shaker container one time and in a pinch I pulled out a spring loaded flour sifter similar to this.
I thought it did a great job as far as a lot of coverage for a minimal amount of work. The only down-side is the fine mesh screens. I'm thinking on using a scratch awl to widen the mesh more, or running my rubs through a FP longer to get a finer grind. Either way whatever was leftover in the sifter, I just sprinkled over the meat.

Tim

I'm a hands on guy, store my rubs in mason jars and pour into bowls to apply by hand. I also use one disposable vinyl gloved hand for handling the meat and "patting" the rub in and one bare hand for sprinkling rub.

I'm an unbelievable tightwad so I've been re-using the plastic jugs that turbinado sugar comes in. It has a screw on top with a snap-down flap that has a pour opening under it. I use a sharpie marker to write on it what meat it's for.

I just wipe it down if it gets dirty or just empty it out and throw it in the dishwasher.

Russ

I have a couple of leftover Diamond Almond containers that are clear plastic with a screw-on cover. I drilled holes through the cover and use those. Put a piece of plastic wrap over it the container before screwing on the cover and it's air tight.

I use mason jars and punch larger holes in the lid with a nail or punch. Shakes pretty heavily so I don't have to shake forever to apply. I seal the jar with wax paper--tear a little square, place it over the jar and screw the lid rigth on over the paper.
I can also write on the jar with a sharpie and rub it off when I change the rub.

dredges are nice, but I prefer ones with slightly larger holes.
You know, you're right, J. I've been "satisfied" but I think it would be better with larger holes. Since I've already got 'em, I think I'll just get my drill out....

Back