Help! No fan.

Phillip P

TVWBB Fan
Sorry to be a bother, but I updated to version 8 before kicking off this morning, and aside from some unusual probe reactions, nothing terribly out of the ordinary EXCEPT that the fan never runs. Even when bringing up to temp, the fan speed indicator never showed that it was running. I switched it over to Servo mode for a brief moment and the fan kicked in (electrical connection is good) and the indicator on the graph said it was going. Turned it back to fan mode, and it is gone again.

Currently BPID are all set to 0, the setpoint of the pit is at 225.
Fan speed is set to minimum of 5% and max of 95%

Any thoughts?

I haven't really learned anything about setting the PID parameters on the HM yet cause it worked so darn well on my cheapo smoker with the default values, however, none of my values are set to "0"??? The default values are 4 - 3 - .005 - 5, perhaps put in those settings and give it a try?
Soon enough I will be learning about PID settings, cause the HM does not control my new Kamado grill well at all....

Last edited:
Thanks Ralph!

I had set them all to 0 per the wiki for manual tuning. I am guessing that a P = 0 was the operator error.

I haven't yet found a "reset to defaults" for the PID settings. At least I have them written down now.

I need to learn about PID tuning myself. I just did a brief look around for info on that but couldnt find it. Where was it you said the PID tuning details were posted?

OK, got it, will be attempting to tune PID parameters for my Char-Griller Kamado hopefully tonight before I cook my steaks....
Looks like your smoke is going well now.... Have a good day.....

Back