Pots at Target or Wal-Mart? Amazon?

S.T. Sandhu

I'm hoping to start my WSM Mini build, but I'm having problems securing the pots. Wal-Mart has them, but the closest store with them in stock is nearly 100 miles away. Target has them, but I wanted to make sure they're the right ones before ordering. Amazon is out of stock on the Vasconia pots.

Has anyone got them from Target recently? Are the ones at Target the right ones? Would I be waiting weeks or months to see them in the nearest Wal-Mart again? Will Amazon have them soon? Perhaps someone here has a sense of the historical pattern of supply for these stores. Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

S. T.

"Has anyone got them from Target recently?" Yes, then returned it because it didn't fit. Now I am going back because I can't find one anyplace else. I'll be crimping the top. See this forum for suggestions on how not to bend them up too badly.

"Are the ones at Target the right ones?" Yes and no, high probability you will need to crimp.

"Will Amazon have them soon?" My money is on NO.

how do you live in canada ? i live in a smallish town and i got 4 wal marts within a 10 mile radius ! 3 of them near by my house.

how do you live in canada ? i live in a smallish town and i got 4 wal marts within a 10 mile radius ! 3 of them near by my house.

Greater Vancouver, which is where I live, has a population of 2.4 million. In our city of Surrey, with nearly a half million people, we have 3 Wal-Marts. Land is very, very expensive here! On par with San Francisco and New York.

I haven't considered checking the local stores, as I just assumed they wouldn't carry the pots. I was referring to stores in Washington State. We're only 15 minutes from the border, and do more shopping there than here on this side. The nearest store in WA is 35 minutes, then 55, 70, etc. I just felt a nearly 3.5 hour round trip was a bit far. None of the stores closest in Washington have the pot.

I may have to re-consider that. Local stores first. Off I go to Wally World!

No idea if one of these would work, because I've not read that anyone has ever bought one from them, but Sears claims to carry a Vasconia 32-quart tamale steamer. That's what people snatch from Amazon. It's priced around $33, and you can search for stock in your area before driving...

http://www.sears.com/32-qt-aluminum...ockType=G1&PDP_REDIRECT=false&s_tnt=39869:4:0

Hope this helps!

Thanks! The picture seems to show a different pot than what I think I need. Also, unfortunately I'd have to order this in and take my chances - not something I want to do.

No luck at my local W/M either. Not a lot of Mexican grocery stores north of the 49th either :).

Thanks! The picture seems to show a different pot than what I think I need.

I understand what you're saying, I bought my Vasconia 32-Quart steamer from Amazon when it was in stock. Their (Sears) description matches, and pictures for stocked items in a store are often different. It would be worth a quick look if any of the Sears stores around you shows one in stock. Odds are they'll also have a Smokey Joe and you can test fit in the store :)

Good luck!

I understand what you're saying, I bought my Vasconia 32-Quart steamer from Amazon when it was in stock. Their (Sears) description matches, and pictures for stocked items in a store are often different. It would be worth a quick look if any of the Sears stores around you shows one in stock. Odds are they'll also have a Smokey Joe and you can test fit in the store :)

Good luck!

Thanks again for the assistance. The closest Sears is an hour away. We do go camping in that area at the end of June, so this may just have to wait until then. If the Sears one isn't right, then it may require going to the W/M in Everett, WA, another 40 miles away, as they appear to be the only W/M in WA State that has the pots in stock!

Maybe I'm being too cheap, but the sense I got from reading the entire Mini thread is that you don't want to turn this into a project that costs north of $100 - kinda defeats the purpose I think!!

yea, yer kinda in a pickle. just do what you can till you do go near a store for other reasons and then look around. feel bad i can't help cuz shipping would kill ya !

yea, yer kinda in a pickle. just do what you can till you do go near a store for other reasons and then look around. feel bad i can't help cuz shipping would kill ya !

George, it would appear that you have the MOTHER of all Wal-Marts nearby. Seems like they have everything in stock. Where is Visalia?

just for giggles i checked out a imusa pot at target today with a sj there. the pot was rather tight in the lower part maybe due to it not being round and sure enough the lid won't fit.
i think the cheap ones at the mexican stores are better.

I ordered one from Sears. The Sears is close to the KOA we're staying at next week, so no extra driving if it doesn't work out!
Thanks for your help George!

I have started gathering parts and on the way home from work passed a Target.
I decided on a hunch to check to see if they carried the stock pot.
I saw One IMUSA 32 QTp Pot on the shelf. After reading the posts about people having a hard time finding one I snagged it. Brought it home and test fitted.
The bottom fit I to SJ silver was spot on, however the lid doesn't quite fit.
Not too clear on the crimping idea..
So today with my SMS in tow, I checked the closest Walmart and they didn't carry it
Also checked Sears with no luck. I will hit some other Targets this coming week.
All was not lost. I took my parts list(thank you to all for posting your builds)
Took parts list to Home Depot and found most of what I needed. They were out of the 1/4 stainless cap nuts and 1/4 x 3/4 stainless hex bolts. Everything else including grill grate all for less than $50.00
Will post whole list and progress
Now to crimp or not to crimp......

More to come..
Chad

I have started gathering parts and on the way home from work passed a Target.
I decided on a hunch to check to see if they carried the stock pot.
I saw One IMUSA 32 QTp Pot on the shelf. After reading the posts about people having a hard time finding one I snagged it. Brought it home and test fitted.
The bottom fit I to SJ silver was spot on, however the lid doesn't quite fit.
Not too clear on the crimping idea..
So today with my SMS in tow, I checked the closest Walmart and they didn't carry it
Also checked Sears with no luck. I will hit some other Targets this coming week.
All was not lost. I took my parts list(thank you to all for posting your builds)
Took parts list to Home Depot and found most of what I needed. They were out of the 1/4 stainless cap nuts and 1/4 x 3/4 stainless hex bolts. Everything else including grill grate all for less than $50.00
Will post whole list and progress
Now to crimp or not to crimp......

More to come..
Chad

Chad,

I would look at local mexican grocery stores. I also looked at the targets in the area and could not find one. So I hit up the local mexican grocery stores. I found the pot at the market on the corner of main and lomita. And it was $14.00

Fit was a bit off but after looking at it closer, my lid is a little out of wack. Hope this helps

Chad,

I would look at local mexican grocery stores. I also looked at the Targets in the area and could not find one. So I hit up the local mexican grocery stores. I found the pot at the market on the corner of main and lomita. And it was $14.00

Fit was a bit off but after looking at it closer, my lid is a little out of wack. Hope this helps

Fabian.. You are the man!! I was thinking my only choices would be the Target ones which would lead me to have to crimp. ughhh..
I live in the South Bay and decided to take a drive towards Lomita Blvd. & Main st. The Market is Best Way SuperMercado, They had entire shelf full. Very reasonably priced. $16.34 had my Smokey Joe Silver lid and grate with me to check the fit.. Spot On!

Los Angeles has loads of Hispanic markets, although I have never been to one.. ( Embarrasing as there was a lot of good deals there)

Thanks for the tip, as others have validated the Hispanic market pots seem to be a reasonable option.

I am willing to pick a few up and ship to anyone who is having trouble finding the right pot.Sending me a Private message and will arrnage..

VMI 32 QT Alu. Stock Pot
Purchased at Best Way SuperMercado, They had shelf full. Very reasonably priced. $16.34
VM International
1241 E Watson Center Rd
Carson CA 90745
(310)952-9000

Thanks again for the tip well worth the drive.
ChadRex

Last edited:
I ordered one from Sears. The Sears is close to the KOA we're staying at next week, so no extra driving if it doesn't work out!
Thanks for your help George!

I picked up the one from Sears this weekend while on vacation in the area. It's the IMUSA pot made in China. It wasn't cheap. Just a shade under $35. The bottom fits fine, but the SJS lid does not fit properly. As others have said many times before, "To crimp or not to crimp. That is the question". This may require some searching here on crimping!!

You guys in California are lucky. Pots that fit perfectly and less than half what I just paid.!

Back