St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake.

Paul Kastner

TVWBB Hall of Fame
This is a St. Louis original or so it is said. I remember my grandmother Kastner making this when I was 6 or 7 years old. The one thing about the US when a German and an Irish lady marry the food is interesting to say the least.

A good German breakfast pastry.

Let's Eat Recipe Card
St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake

77bb196d.jpg

Yield: 9 servings

For crust:

1 cup all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/3 cup butter, softened

For filling:

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened

1 egg

1 cup all-purpose flour

2/3 cup evaporated milk

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla

Powdered sugar

1. Prepare the crust. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling together. Pat into the bottom and sides of a greased 9-by-9-by-2-inch pan.

2. Prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl, beat 1 1/4 cups sugar and 3/4 cup butter until light and fluffy. Mix in egg until combined. A bit at a time, alternately add 1 cup flour and evaporated milk, mixing after each addition. Add corn syrup and vanilla. Mix at medium speed until well blended.

3. Pour filling into crust-lined pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until cake is nearly set. Do not overcook. Let cool in pan.

I believe this is the same recipe we use Paul. Folks if you haven't tried this yet, you should. These cakes are easy, delicious, and very addicting!

This is the recipe I usually use for gooey butter cake. I think any of these recipes will yield a great dessert. Get some milk for this one, these are better than cookies.

Ingredients
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Mix cake mix, melted butter or margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 eggs with a spoon. Pat into a 9 X 13 inch pan.
Mix cream cheese, 2 eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer. Slowly beat in confectioner's sugar. Pour over cake layer.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool.
Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving  Calories: 334 | Total Fat: 13.9g | Cholesterol: 75mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

Back