Trash Can

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Dave,

Thanks for coming on TVWBB and spending some time with us. I had the opportunity to meet you at last year Jack's. We were in the KCBS CBJ class together. During one of the breaks a buddy and I made a point to introduce ourselves and meet you. I appreciate your genuine down-to-earth character. You told us a story about how you started out and why you now serve your BBW on a trash can lid. I know others members here would love to hear the story of the trash can lid and your early days in BBQ.

My question is this: Competition BBQ and Commercial Sales BBQ is probably different. I'm just a weekend warrior backyard guy but I'm interested in how you differ your processes and techniques between your restaurants and the competitions you participate in.

Once again -- Thanks!

Dwain

Actually our restaurant ribs are pretty much our competition ribs. I am not a big fan of putting ribs in foil. However today that seems to be the way to get ribs real tender. The old pitmaster way was just letting the fat render out slowly over smoldering hardwood coals. My first smoker was nothing but a galvanized trash can that I would shovel coals in and I had drilled holes in the side for steel bars over which I put a metal wire grate over. When I was done smoking I just turned the trash can lid over the put my ribs on this... and today we serve our All American BBQ Feast on a garbage can lid to celebrate how I got started! Today, with the BBQ Gurus (and I have one) and the off set smokers and then people putting ribs in foil with sugary goopy stuff... is really nothing but "candied ribs!" I honestly don't know if really slow smoked ribs with just brown sugar, salt & pepper could win today? ...but to me that is real barbecue. There are many places down south or most black owned small store front barbecue joints where you can still get real barbecue. BTW I will always say that I think the what real and what's not has gotten way out of hand. There is no right or wrong Barbecue. If you like it and you're having fun with family and friends... then its barbecue!!! Like I said in a earlier question... I am not about to tell some hard working mom that when she got home and she boiled some ribs and then baked them and then drowned them in a store bought sauce that what she just did was not barbecue. If this mom told her kids this is bbq ribs and her family loved what this mom made for them... then it's barbecue and God Bless her! Quite honestly I think Weber Kettles with a rotisserie are a great way to make great barbecue chicken. And a Bullet makes a lot of great barbecue... you don't need fancy gadgets to have a barbecue. If you love what you do and you do it with passion... and then you have a great fun time eating tasty barbecue however it was made but you are enjoying it with family and friends... then its a barbecue to me!!! it's all about family, fun, and thanking the Good Lord for all he has blessed us with...hope this helps "Famous Dave"

Back