mini wsm pot crimping

Fabian Ochoa

TVWBB Member
Hey all, I joined a few weeks back and have started my mini wsm. I have all the needed items ready to.

My holdback at the moment is the lid to pot fit. It is pretty tight and in order for me to remove the lid, I have to hold the pot. I searched the forums for a solution and found that crimping the pot is the answer. I did not find how its done. Maybe someone would give me an idea on how to go about this.

Hopefully I will finish is it up this weekend and start using it after the paint cures.

Pliers will absolutely leave teeth marks and otherwise chew the crap out of the pot.
Since I'm a woodworker by trade, I have a bunch of F-style clamps and used one of these to squeeze the rim/lip of my Imusa pot.
Took all of 2 minutes, worked great, and left a flawless finish behind.
bessey-clamps-TG.jpg

i had to crimp something once so i cut a piece of wood in half that had the samy curve and then used that to crimp. remember that you need very little to give you enough clearance. so be easy on the force used as if its not enough you can always go around again.

Me?
I would just roll it around on a piece of wood a slightly tap it from the inside with a rubber mallet. :)

Tim

As George said, it doesn't take much pressure. You probably only need a 1/16" or so for an easy fit. Give it a light squeeze all the way around the perimeter and not just one side. After you fire it up, the heat might expand the pot some and the lid might be snug again. Just yesterday I gave mine another squeeze before using it an my chicken quarters.

Back