Thermocouples?

RCassity

Just a question about probes. At my workplace we use type j or type k thermocouples in our environmental chambers. Could the Heatermeter software be changed to read thermocouple values from Type J or K wire? That way you make your own thermocouples. A 100 foot spool of wire goes for $80. I'm no software guy just asking a question.

Nope, the hardware to support thermocouples is not there. It would require an op amp chip and supporting hardware or a specialty thermocouple reading chip. Either way it is completely different than the current hardware so it would be non-trivial to implement.

Maverick's High Heat probes are rated for like 500F usable, 700F maximum temperature. They're available in ET-732 and ET-72/73 resistances and they're thermistors.

I've melted two Maverick "High Heat" probes already. The first one was on the pizza stone, the second one was just inside the top vent a few inches. I was really surprised the one in the vent died, cause there was a few inches of probe (and the entire wire) outside the cooker.

I am wondering if it would be possible to make an external interface that had the extra hardware for a thermocouple that could interface with the Heater Meter? If you had a device that could read the thermocouple temp is there any way to pass the data on to the Heater Meter? Or is it possible to build an interface that could read the thermocouple and convert that into a resistive output? Or maybe build a RF-wireless thermocouple adapter that could communicate with the Heater Meter?

Last edited:

Back