Did my smoke day a week early! also first time using the WSM

Nick_U

TVWBB Pro
Finally had some free time from work. Been really busy working 6-7 days a week so have not had much time to bbq. A few weeks back I got a used WSM 18.5 from work for free. Someone donated it and I was able to convince my boss that it had no purpose being at work and would be much happier in my back yard. It had been sitting in my back yard waiting for me to give it some much needed attention. I had Friday and Saturday off so i had big plans for the WSM and performer.

Started off Friday, I wanted to smoke some home made andouille sausage, ribs, and boudin on saturday. So I made 10lbs of andouille and let it sit in the fridge so it could form a pellicle and hold some of that great smoke flavor. Also rubbed down the ribs, 3 racks, to cook on the performer for saturday.

Friday was boys night, Mom went out with friends so me and the little guy had the afternoon evening to play. Father in law came over to nap before heading down to Mexico. Wanted to do something good and fairly simple for dinner.

started with chicken breast
photo_zps4fc1fc0c.jpg

then cut up some peppers, poblano, and onion and got it going in a pan
photo_zps26717ac7.jpg

Then added some chorizo to the pepper combo
http://mob1366.photobucket.com/albums/r771/leftcoastlinks/photo_zps0ae041ee.jpg

Put the chicken on the grill with some corn as well
photo_zps9ea9544d.jpg

when the chicken was almost done I moved it to indirect heat and put the chorizo pepper combo on it and topped it with some pepper jack cheese. Wanted to top with queso oaxaca but didn't have time to get some. pretty pathetic plated pic but I was hungry and like I said, simple but good dinner
photo_zps8bc7ae90.jpg

Saturday I had my mom and dad over, and was all about ribs and sausage. Got the baby backs on the performer with some apple wood and cooked them between 250-275 for around 4 hours. After the ribs were started I fired up the WSM to smoke the andouille. Ran it with a little amount of coals and a hunk of apple wood so there would be smoke with very little heat. After an hour I raised the heat by adding more coals and cooked the andouille for two more hours.

Ribs
photo_zps8e99c5ca.jpg

Andouille almost done.
photo_zps951817ad.jpg

made the boudin, with pork shoulder, seasoning and some jalapeno, poblano, onion, celery, left out the liver cus I don't care for liver flavor. cooked, mixed with cooked white rice and stuffed into casings. Left the boudin out to dry a little and when the andouille was finished put the boudin on to smoke. Same process but with a little more heat and less time.

smoked boudin
photo_zps6110f235.jpg

No plated pics of dinner (new to this taking pictures of food thing) but dinner was salad, red beans and rice with the andouille in it and baby backs, and a few Ballast Point Big Eye IPA's, delicious!

I look forward to more cooks on the WSM and learning how to take better pics and share.

Cheers

Great job Nick...
Good food and looks like you had a great time with mom and dad.

Wh-a-a-a? Let's back up a little; sweet talkin' your boss out of a WSM? I think you deserve a promotion. And the chow looks good, too.

Wh-a-a-a? Let's back up a little; sweet talkin' your boss out of a WSM? I think you deserve a promotion. And the chow looks good, too.
Took the words right out of my brain! Man, to think I dropped 300$ on a new one...Free shipping though...yah that didn't help me feel better. Nice job on everything!

Back