Unusual question

EricH

TVWBB Member
I did my first cooks this past weekend on my 22 WSM. A pork shoulder that turned out great and a second smoke with some ABT's. After the first smoke, I left my pecan wood chunks out and it rained. So they soaked in water. Our live Oak is shedding its leaves, so I think some got in the water as well. I used the wood that had soaked the next day. Whwen I went to clean up the smoker on Monday I noticed that rather than a black goating on the inside of the lid and cooking chamber, I got a red coating that almost looks like rust. I am wondering if the leaves leached a little color into the water and that was transferred to the wood as it smoked. Do y'all think I need to remove that, or can I just let it get covered with the normal black stuff after my next few smokes?

I found my own answer on the FAQ section:

What is that rust-colored residue inside the lid? Is the metal rusting?

A: The cooker has a porcelain enamel finish that will not rust. The rust-colored residue is smoke-laden moisture that deposits inside the lid and dries. It can be washed or brushed it off as part of your normal cleaning routine. Pictures 1 and 2 show the lid before and after cleaning with a stiff bristle brush and water from the garden hose.

Yup. You'll notice this pretty much whenever you look. Every several cooks I brush it off lest it build too much and flake onto the cooking food.

Welcome to the board.

Back