Grillin' on a food coffin

W

Willie S

Just returned from San Carlos, Tamaulipas, Mexico. We were invited to a cookout and they used a food coffin to grill brisket and chicken. Under the grill was an area to cook goat and pig. It really looked like a small coffin. The translators had fun with me. If I can figure out how to post pics I will. Has anyone heard of this grill/oven?

Willie-

Did it look something like this:

draft_lens1736444module6579393photo_rotischicken.jpg

If so, google caja china

R

Willie-

That looks a lot like a very authentic version of the La Caja China. Of course, I've never seen either one in person, but if you go looking for the La Caja China website, you'll see that the product they are selling looks very similar to the pics you posted.

Nice looking rig, by the way. I'll bet the food was awesome!

R

Notice the half onion on the grill? They would cook it until tender (black on the bottom) then quarter and squeeze a lime on it. Try it; you won't believe the flavor. Nothin like going down into old Mexico and experiencing their culture and down home cookin'.

That is pretty cool!

I've only used my La Caja a couple times and have never cooked a pig with it yet, but it only makes sense to use a grate or rotis to take advantage of all the charcoal.

They cooked the goat or pig in the lower compartment. I wish I had taken a pic of it when they opened it up. They said it took about 2 hours to cook a small goat. the lower compartment was lined with stainless steel and a stainless steel grade and dripping pan.

hey guys I have used this grill before and they are nice.Cooked 94 lbs. hog inside of it. Normally takes about 4 hrs for a whole hog but due to some mistakes on my part it took about 8 hrs. hog turned out great just a little later than expected.

Downhere in Louisiana we call that a cajun microwave... There is a place not too far from me that makes them, and they are called a cajun microwave... I have one and I love mine...

Back