Issues with release candidate....

RalphTrimble

TVWBB Diamond Member
I wanted to report having issues with the latest release candidate beta software. I had installed it because I need the "light" web page to view on my phone, which does work, but I am having other problems....

I installed:

opkg --force-reinstall install http://home.capnbry.net:22674/rpi/pa...7_brcm2708.ipk

then installed

opkg install http://home.capnbry.net:22674/rpi/packages/luci-lib-json_0.11.1-1_brcm2708.ipk

Both installed fine, but afterwords there are multiple problems.

The main web page does not display the graph, the probes were all set to disabled, but when I choose internal and select a preset it only puts parameters into the A field, B & C are left blank, and when I hit SAVE nothing happens, the window showing the save does not pop up and the settings are not saved, so I can not change or save anything.

I have tried installing this a second time on a fresh build and both times I had the same problems.

I've been able to restore my system to the latest official release which does work fine but I thought I should report to you the problems I had running the RC.

Also, I am wondering if there is something I can do to customize the network settings for the rPi by editing files on the SD card instead of having to connect to a computer first and calling out to 192.168.200.1? It's kind of a PITA to set up a computer to connect to the rPi every time I need to rebuild, it would be really nice if the network settings would match my network right out of the box after a rebuild....

Ah! Yes I ran into this as well (the graph not showing up). The issue is that the browser is caching a piece of javascript which is causing an error. I'm not sure how to do it in IE, but clearing the cache, closing the browser, then bringing up the LinkMeter Home page and hitting Ctrl+Shift+R until the graph shows up. This will sort of be fixed so just refreshing the page should fix it, depending on if the browser supports it.

For editing the config files, you can do it if your computer is a Linux machine, but under windows I've never tried it. The configuration is backed up on every successful boot after the first so you shouldn't need to reconfigure it. From a clean install, go to 192.168.200.1 and set everything up. Pull the plug on it and reboot the rPi. Wait at least a minute for the configuration backup to complete.

Now when you boot a "fresh" image, the system will see your configuration backup, restore the settings, reboot the rPi, and you'll be back in business. You must wait at least a minute for the settings to be restored, then another 30-45 seconds for the reboot to complete.

OK, I have the graph showing now... BTW, I am testing this with IE, Firefox and Chrome....

I still am unable to edit and save the probe parameters.... or save any changes for that matter...

On the backup/restore situation.... after you have configured the system once, and reboot, the backup is stored WHERE? The reason I ask is because after I had the issue with the RC yesterday I made a build on a fresh (second) SD card, and when I boot from it I had to use a CAT5 cable to connect to 192.168.200.1 and reconfigure, my config was not restored automatically. This is why I was asking if I could pre-configure the LAN and/or WiFi when I build the SD, so I don't have to go through all that if I need to start with a fresh build... Reason being, I had my coals stoked already when I realize the build I was running (rc) was not functioning, so time was of the essence when I had to do this emergency rebuild..... Can I just plug the configured SD card into my PC and copy it to my HD and then copy that to a fresh SD card if I need to rebuild?

The backup is stored in a tar.gz archive on partition 4 of the SD card, which is an ext4 partition so it doesn't show up in windows. When you flash a new image the partition table is wiped out so there doesn't appear to be a partition 4 any more. On the first boot up a script calculates where it thinks partition 4 is, creates the table entry then looks to see if there's a valid filesystem. If there is and it has the config archive on it, then it is restored and the device is rebooted.

As for why you can't edit and save probe params, I have no idea. Are all the fields filled in when you first visit the page? Anything without an initial value can not be edited on account of there being some sort of communication error. Does the configuration URL at the bottom change when you make changes? Nothing will work properly if the backing javascript doesn't load properly which is the same problem with the browser caching.

Thank you for that explanation of what is going on...

When I had the issue many fields started out blank, and could not be saved. When I picked a probe preset only field A had data. When I hit save NOTHING happened. It said it had no password but I couldn't save a password, etc etc.

It seems to me like the config restore somehow went sour after the update and corrupted my system. I tried a fresh (release version) build (on a different virgin SD card) and it had the same behavior, I wasn't able to save until I forced the re-flashed of the AVR.

Since I got it back up and running with the current release I have tried the update process again (installing the two updates you linked me to), and got the same problems, but this time when restored the current release version my settings were correct and I could save again.

I don't know what is going wrong, perhaps there is a third update I would need to install? If it is of any value to you for me try and install this I would be glad to try, however, I could just as well wait for the next full release to come out before I update. I'm really not sure if there is something wrong with the program or something is wrong with the patch process.....

Back