ET-72/73 vs ET-732 Probes

Troy Gamm

TVWBB Fan
Still trying to nail down an order from mouser but I have a question about probes. I noticed that the parts list states ET-72 or ET-73. I have looked and can't find any 3' or preferably 6' smoker probes for the ET-72/73. I have found them for the 732 though and would prefer to use longer lead probes as it gives more flexibility for placing the HM. Is one better than the other. I think I read a post somewhere on here that the 732 probe connectors were longer than the 72/73. If that is correct do I need different jacks to mount on the HM and would anyone have any part numbers for those? Are there any other parts I would have to change?

I hate asking a ton of questions but I have searched and couldn't find the answer.

Thanks,
Troy

The jacks are the same although the ones on the parts list don't have end stops so if you push them in past the 1st's click, they won't make contact. I used different jacks that I got off ebay. It's not that big of an issue, someone also had a good idea to put a piece of tubing on the plug to prevent you from being able to push it in too far. What I would change though is the resistor values, use 4 22k resistors instead of 10k, it make the lower temperature reading more accurate,

Hi Troy,

I went direct to Maverick and ordered 73s from this page: http://maverickhousewares.bigcartel.com/product/et-73-food-probe

Got a 2 pack of food probes ($20 for the pair), a combo with one food probe and one smoker probe ($20 again) and a grill clip for $3 ($43 total).

They're 3ft, which will work fine for me. I think if you want 6ft, you've got to get the 732 or 72 probes. Hard to tell since Maverick doesn't list the size on all of them.

Last edited:
If you want 6ft, you gotta... order the one that says 6ft! :-D

The ET-732s are both 6ft and the ET-72/73 high heat is as well. The rest are 3ft. Don't order anything that isn't for the ET-72, ET-73, or ET-732 unless you want to do a lot of math.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and purchases the jacks specified in the parts list.

Do you knowmifmthey make a high heat 72/73 smoker probe or could I use a food probe as the smoker probe? I couldn't find the 72/73 smoker probe longer than 3'.

Smoker and food probes are electrically the same, the difference is in shape so that's up to you and how you mount them. The last 732 order I got from Maverick had what they called a food/smoker probe in it, it did not have the 90 degree bend in it and the one end was pointy.

Like the other poster pointed out, go to Maverick's home page, they have all the styles of probes there, the prices are as good as you will find right from Maverick....
http://maverickhousewares.bigcartel.com/category/probes
I had been using 73 food probes, recently got a 732 pit probe (all from amazon before I realized Maverick had reasonable prices online). I had problems getting a reading with the 732 probe, searching the forum I find I am not the first one to have problems. As it turns out, the 732 not only has tiny bit longer plug (which you need to be careful not to insert all the way or it wont work, back it out a bit and it works) but the 732 also did not have an electrical connection between the braid and the shield of the plug. Without that ground connection the probe does not work on the HM. If you touch the 732 braid to any ground on the HM it will work, or if you touch the braid from a 72/73 probe to the braid of the 732 probe it will work too. I ended up soldering a little wire in place so I didn't have to worry about it, but it would have been nice if the probe just had the ground connected from the get go. I am gonna look into a replacement plug soon and cut this end off and put it on there properly... Once I got this figured out the 732 works fine... Just thought I would throw that out there for you
732.jpg

Last edited:

Back