have you guys tried this?

well you can sear the steak less time than in the video (60 seconds) and it wont turn black or just use a thicker piece of meat.

just saying this looks like a great idea. i will definitely try it this weekend.

I use this method regularly and love it. If it's a method you're going to to regularly I'd recommend picking up a coal grate from a SJ for your cooking grate (see first set of pictures). Here are a couple threads on my and others experience. Two tips, let the flames die down so they're not hitting your grate and two, go naked (your steak not you) and no oil or seasoning until after the turn. Your spices will BURN. Let us know how your cook goes.

Chimney filet PICTURES

Chimney ribeye PICTURES

THREAD 1

THREAD 2

THREAD 3

Yup, do this all the time. Works great, best way to get a good sear. Black soot?
icon_confused.gif

"no oil or seasoning until after the turn."

do you mean after i sear the first side on the chimney, then put seasoning and oil on both sides, then sear the other side on the chimney, then pour coals in smokey joe and continue?

another question. since i am going to expermiment, i will with only one steak. how many briquettes do you think ill need?

ill read the threads you posted.

ok i found my answer on one of those threads.

basically. sear steak on chimney with no seasoning or oil on either side. flip steak to other side on chimney, season cooked side.

transfer coals to smokey joe, put steak seasoned side down, season the other side and continue until done, right?

Brady, you've got her. I cannot stress enough, don't get anxious and put your steak on too soon, wait for the flames to die down.

I've done this with both lump and charcoal and could tell very little difference between the two. In fact, no I just use Kingsford Blue Bag on these cooks.

What cut are you using? Filets seem to work better than Ribeyes for me.

i will definitely wait until the fire dies down.

im thinking a sirloin steak for first try since its a cheaper meat but still good. if i ruin it i wont feel bad, though i think it will turn out good since this looks pretty easy to do. 1 inch thick from costco, 45 secs on each side.

im also thinking about doing a pound of bacon chimney style after i remove the steak. not sure how long that will take as well as how it will affect the steak resting off the coals till the bacon is done. maybe i should just stick to the steak and try bacon at another time.

but that much bacon should last me a whole week for blts etc.

Back