A Steak question for Kevin...

NeilH

TVWBB Emerald Member
Hey Kevin, thanks for your time and advice.

Whats your method for grilling steaks. Lets say a Ribeye cut for example. Seasoning or marinade used, direct and indirect times and fuel will help greatly. Thanks again.

Neil

Neil,
It is my pleasure and keep the questions coming. Ribeye's have quickly launched themselves to the top of my steak list. Just absolutely love the spinalis meat. I like using salt, pepper, garlic on my steaks. I do not like to use to many seasonings because this type of steak is loaded with flavor. Now if I am doing filets, I am a big fan of coffee encrusted steaks marinaded in a nice red table wine. When using charcoal (lump and high heat) I will use Weber's GBS sear grate which gives unbelievable sear marks to the meat. I will sear for about 2 minutes per side and finish the steak over indirect heat. I myself love a Ribeye grilled to medium because this allows the fat to liquidize which will give you a perfect bite every time. I have had many Ribeye's cooked more to the medium rare side which can leave you with a chewy steak.

On a gas grill I will sear over high heat for 2 minutes each side. I will rotate the steak every minute to obtain diamond marks and then finish over indirect heat.

Sound good?

I myself love a Ribeye grilled to medium because this allows the fat to liquidize which will give you a perfect bite every time. I have had many Ribeye's cooked more to the medium rare side which can leave you with a chewy steak.

Good to know! I was unaware of this. Thinking about, it makes sense. Thanks!

Last edited:
The coffee encrusted/red wine marinated filet sounds great! Could you share a bit more detail on how your favorite way(s) to prepare those (things like: how long you marinate them, what type or flavor coffee you prefer, etc.)? Thanks!

Mark,
Check out kevin's backyard on facebook if you are a member. I have some details there for this recipe. I use about 2 kcups of coffee grounds, 3 tablespoons of salt, 3 black pepper. I will coat both sides of the steak with the rub and then place in a aluminum tray or zip lock bag for 30 minutes then flip the steaks for another 30 minutes. I like to take the steaks out and reapply rub evenly on the steak right before it goes on to the grill. I like to use Sutter Home Sweet Red or Pinot Noir but you can use whatever table red wine you have at home. The sweetness of the wine takes some of the bite out of the coffee and gives the steak an amazing aroma and an even better flavor. I do not like using flavored coffee as an FYI.

Makes sense?

kk

Thanks Kevin! Yes, I looked for it on your blog but hadn't checked out your facebook page yet. For those of you looking for it, it is his February 21 post on facebook. That's next on my to-do list. You also read my mind about converting to k-cups and about flavored coffee.

Here's the text of Kevin's Facebook post:

I used about 2 cups Pinot Noir but a cab or merlot will do. Then 1 cup of coffee grounds, granulate garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Marinade for 1 hour flip after 30 minutes.

Back