Beating a Dead horse..

Tim B

Hi All !!,

New to smoking(other than attempting using a Weber kettle). 18.5 or 22.5?? I will be using the smoker ALOT and I cannot decide which size to go for and would love some suggestions. I cook for 2 people for "tonight's dinner" as well as for lunches and dinners for the week. I RARELY cook for more than 6 people. I have been searching previous posts and have not found enough info to influence my decision. My problem is that I dont know how much meat each cooker holds. I know the 22.5 will cook 6 chickens but how does that compare to the 18.5? How many racks/butts can one hold as opposed to the other? ...etc. My local hardware store sells the 18.5 for $319 and the 22.5 for $350 so the $$ difference is not much. My main concern is obviously fuel consumption(if it was the same I would buy the larger...but cooking for 2 people 90% of the time is it too much smoker??) Cant thank you guys enough for any info and Chris for helpful incite on the bullet!!!

Tim

With the info you posted, get the 18". You really have no need for the 22" and the extra fuel it will eat IMO. I did the whole pre-order thing for the 22" last Oct, still haven't used it yet.
icon_wink.gif

Tim,
I too was undecided on which size to get. It's pretty much just me and the wife most of the time. I went with the 22.5. I figured I have the room if I need it (parties, company, etc.)
I just did 3 slabs of baby backs on the top grate and 9 huge chicken thighs on the bottom grate on Sunday. I used approx 7-8 lbs of Royal Oak Lump charcoal for the smoke. After chicken and ribs were done she still had a great burn going. Total burn time approx 5+hrs. We ate some ribs and some chicken and still have enough for another 2 meals. I buy RO lump charcoal at Walmart for $6.37 a 10 lb bag. I thought fuel use was pretty good. Briquettes are cheaper if you go that route.
I will say the 22.5 is BIG! I probably would have been great with the 18.5 but I have the extra room if I need it. I also use a clay saucer instead of water in the pan and this helps conserve some fuel also.
This weekend doing 3-4 butts for pulled pork. I love having leftovers!
Good luck on your decision. You will be happy with either one.

I was in the same dilema back in Nov. 18" new, 18" old, or 22" New. I ruled out the 22" because it was $400 and I was only planning to cook for 3-6 for the most part. I ended going to Backyardbbq in Wilmette, the guy had the new one for $299 and the old one for $160. I bought the old and havent looked back. You can fit alot of meat on the 18" so unless you are cooking for alot of people just get the 18". I would look on Craigs list and watch for sales.

the main difference is that you can fit just about any size turkey on a 22" i had to pick through the turkies to find a real small one to fit the 18". same with briskets. even smallish briskets tend to hit the lid edges on the 18"

i have both 18 and 22 wsm. the 18 cooks about the same as the 22 the diff only comes into play when cooking large cuts or large fowl.

i found they use about the same amount of coals when not using water. with water the 22 uses a LOT more fuel compaired to the 18 with water.

i dont regret getting a 22 at all.

Thanks to all for the responses!! Is there much of a downfall not using any water in the water pan when trying to conserve fuel? Does it have much effect on the moisture of the meat?

Originally posted by Tim B:
Is there much of a downfall not using any water in the water pan when trying to conserve fuel? Does it have much effect on the moisture of the meat?
Tim, I never use water and cook over lump. The water in the pan is used as a heat sink to help keep the temps down and the water adds no moisture to the meat at all.
icon_wink.gif

If it's in your budget, get the 22.5". You might use it someday. It's like a gun....it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
icon_wink.gif

Tim,
As Bryan said the water adds no moisture to the meat. I used my water pan once with water then switched to a clay saucer. Clay saucer heats up faster and maintains temps better. Only problem I had was finding a clay saucer that was 18" to fit my 22.5. Home Depot and Lowes only had 16" size!
As Jim said also, get the bigger one as there might be a time or two when you will need it. For the slight price difference, go big!!

Originally posted by Jon Merka:
the main difference is that you can fit just about any size turkey on a 22" i had to pick through the turkies to find a real small one to fit the 18".

If you cook your turkey on one of these upright turkey roasters, and put it on the bottom rack, you can fit a pretty big bird in the 18.5 WSM.

Originally posted by Larry D.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Merka:
the main difference is that you can fit just about any size turkey on a 22" i had to pick through the turkies to find a real small one to fit the 18".

If you cook your turkey on one of these upright turkey roasters, and put it on the bottom rack, you can fit a pretty big bird in the 18.5 WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i split mine down the breast and lay em flat. i like how they cook better that way. i probably should have posted that in the origianl post
icon_smile.gif
i have never really been a fan of cooking fowl whole like a traditional christmas turkey. ive triad stands a few times never been happy with the results. prolly just my personal failure at it. heh.

Back