Anyone ever smoked rockfish?

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
We call them rockfish. My friends on Long Island call them stripers. Others call them striped bass...anyway, whatever you call them a coworker of my wife gave us 3-4 lbs of it already filleted up. I'd like to smoke some for at least one meal. I'll do it on the Performer, indirect so I posted here instead of in the "Barbecuing" forum.

Any advice? Pit temp? How long? What smoke wood (I got 10 different bags of chips for Christmas so I've got just about any type)? How to season/marinade?

Thanks in advance!!

I hear Alder wood is real good for fish and am also told to go easy on the amount of smoke or else you'll overpower your fish. Other than that I will be of no help. Good luck.

I used Chris's recipe for the salmon appetizer (I used wild cherry for smoke) and it was delicious. I have eaten stiped bass many times and I think this method would work well. Here is the Link(scroll down to fish) and also check out the other recipe, although I have not tried that one. Note-When cooking striped bass I normally toss the dark meat that lies on top of the spine. Just too oily and fishy tasting for me. IMO
Good luck! ,Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike F.:
I used Chris's recipe for the salmon appetizer (I used wild cherry for smoke) and it was delicious. I have eaten stiped bass many times and I think this method would work well. Here is the Link(scroll down to fish) and also check out the other recipe, although I have not tried that one. Note-When cooking striped bass I normally toss the dark meat that lies on top of the spine. Just too oily and fishy tasting for me. IMO
Good luck! ,Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great suggestion on the dark meat.........I've been fishing for/eating fresh rockfish for years; I hate when I order it in a restaurant and they include a gob a dark stuff, very unpalatable imho. When I clean a fresh rockfish, I always discard the dark stuff.

If I was cooking on the WSM, I would cook at high heat with mild amounts of smoke and liberal amounts of old bay and/or lemon pepper. I've used a fish/vegetable basket in the past with great results. The key with rockfish is to get it off as soon as it's done (white and flakey). It's nowhere near as good if it dries out.

Good luck............I can't wait til' rock season in April!

What are you trying to achieve? Grilled fish with some extra smoke flavour or hot-smoked fish?

If the former, I think it's pretty straightforward. If the latter, you need to brine the fish beforehand (for an hour or so) let it dry in the fridge for a couple hours and then smoke it low and slow for 2-3 hours. Also, it helps to have the skin on.

For the hot smoking, I don't know how rockfish would work. Usually that's for fattier/oily fish like salmon or mackerel.

I've smoked all kinds of fish, but never rock fish. I always just sprinkle salt on the fish prior to smoking. I haven't ever brined fish. The biggest mistake I ever used was to use hickory for smoke - That batch of fish ended up in the bin. I usually use alder, sometimes with a bit of fruit wood for a bit of extra flavour.

-Mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
What are you trying to achieve? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, now that you ask, I'm not really sure. I've never been a lover of fish. I like it but it's definitely not my favorite. I guess a better question would have been, "I've got 3-4 lbs of rockfish. How would you guys grill/bbq it?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dwayne e:
I would cook at high heat with mild amounts of smoke and liberal amounts of old bay and/or lemon pepper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had this very meal last night (with the dark meat removed) except it was done in the oven. It was very good.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I'll just grill a few portions over direct heat and leave the smoke for the more oily species...

No offense, but I wouldn't want to ruin a wonderful piece of fish like striper with smoke.

This fish is best breaded with 1/2 House Autry and 1/2 biscuit flour and deep fried.

Mmm... Heaven!

My favorite smoked fish is the one that chases the stripers... Big bluefish! Cut the dark meat out of it, brine it and give it some pecan or a little bit of hickory.

I call it the Chesapeake Bay Carp!

Matt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Albright:
No offense, but I wouldn't want to ruin a wonderful piece of fish like striper with smoke.

This fish is best breaded with 1/2 House Autry and 1/2 biscuit flour and deep fried.

Mmm... Heaven!

My favorite smoked fish is the one that chases the stripers... Big bluefish! Cut the dark meat out of it, brine it and give it some pecan or a little bit of hickory.

I call it the Chesapeake Bay Carp!

Matt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with Matt. We caught some 30-40" Stripers last month in the Chesapeake Bay.
I do like to grill or pan sear the fish and finish it off with a tomato smoked butter

Back