Old Weber gas grill question

Frank F

Hi Folks,

I have a weber propane grill I bought from home depot in 1995 or 96, (don't know the model name) and i'm guessing it's sort of of like the spirt? The cooking area is 24" x 17.5", has 3 burners, and very heavy cast iron grates.

One of the first things I tried to cook on it was a whole rotisserie chicken. I would set the temp at 325, and after a few minutes, it would go down to 250-275. then I would raise the temp to 325, and a few minites later it would be 375, and so on. About a year ago I changed the regulator, and It didn't seem to help much. Last night I grilled chicken part, and the temp would go from 300 to 175, and back to 325 etc. You could stand there and watch the temp nose dive, and then come back up over and over.

I guess my question is if it's not the regulator, then could it be the flavor bars etc? I have never changed them out.

One more question. I will have to put about 100 bucks in to it to change out the flavor bars, and probably the burners, and am wondering if I should just scrap it and buy a new one, or is it worth fixing. It's 12 years old. Thanks,

Frank

I had a freaky thermometer on a Char-Broil gasser. It just would never go above 375* even with all four burners wide open. It cooked OK but the lack of high temp ability bothered me. Finally I got a thermometer that rested on the grill and it was shooting well over 500 degrees when the one that came with the grill still registered 350. When I tested the therm that came with the grill in boiling water, it was about 200 degrees off!!! Wow.

I would try a different therm and test the old one to be sure it's the grill. When you cook on the grill does the flame continue to be consistent in height and color? If so, then my bet is on the thermometer. If the flame varies in color or height, make sure that there are no critter webs clogging up the air intake - maybe try to disassemble the burners and blow out the orifices with a high pressure air hose.

If I could make an old Weber work well, I don't think I would spend the money on a new one! But then again, my hobby is making old things look and work like new again.

Pat

Al,

I havent checked the therm, but the drop in temp. can be felt.

Frank

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Have you checked the therm in boiling water to see if it's stable??

A

l </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat,

I think you guys are right. I need to check on all of these things, or just replace the burnners, therm, and bars. You can't get (I was told) a new therm, (long stem sticker type) but I can install a different type that mounts on the face. 12 years is a long time for a bbq. Believe it or not, the striker still works like new!

Frank

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
I had a freaky thermometer on a Char-Broil gasser. It just would never go above 375* even with all four burners wide open. It cooked OK but the lack of high temp ability bothered me. Finally I got a thermometer that rested on the grill and it was shooting well over 500 degrees when the one that came with the grill still registered 350. When I tested the therm that came with the grill in boiling water, it was about 200 degrees off!!! Wow.

I would try a different therm and test the old one to be sure it's the grill. When you cook on the grill does the flame continue to be consistent in height and color? If so, then my bet is on the thermometer. If the flame varies in color or height, make sure that there are no critter webs clogging up the air intake - maybe try to disassemble the burners and blow out the orifices with a high pressure air hose.

If I could make an old Weber work well, I don't think I would spend the money on a new one! But then again, my hobby is making old things look and work like new again.

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank
It is not the Flavouriser Bars.

If you can see the temps moving down quickly and the lid has not been opened then this is a good indication that the temperature gauge is not working properly. If it is slowly then it is probably gas control.

You did not say how the BBQ cooked. Does it cook normally?

To diagnose this problem I would do the following.
1. Inspect the gas line/hose for damage, kinks and signs of deterioration.
2. Ensure both BBQ and gas bottle are off
3. Slowly open the valve on the gas bottle fully.
4. Wait 30 seconds and turn the BBQ front burner control knob on fully and light it.
5 Turn on centre and Rear burner control knobs fully and ensure that all are alight.
6. Close the lid and preheat BBQ for 10 minutes - observe temperature gauge during this time for abnormal fluctuations.
7. Note temperature after 10 minutes.
8. Grill a 3/4" piece of steak for 3 minutes per side with the lid down and all burners on high.
9. Note temperature fluctuations - temp should drop when the lid is open and then steadily rise when lid is closed. We are not so concerned with the lid max temp as the grill temp at this point.
The steak should have good grill marks and should have a slight to medium pink tinge in the middle. This will indicate that the grill is coming up to temperature and performing OK.
10. Remove the temp gauge and place the probe of the temp gauge in boiling water it should read 212F remove the probe and place it in ice. The gauge should drop to 32F Place in boiling water again and it should rise to 212F again. Leave it in the boiling water for 5 - 10 minutes and observe for temperature fluctuations.

These checks should help pinpoint whether it is a temp gauge (probably) or a gas flow problem.
Contact Weber CS if required. The checks that you do will assist them in fixing the problem.

Hope this helps

Regards

Lots of stuff to check out. The grill has always cooked unevenly, but now more so, and i'm guessing the guts need to be changed out. I wanted to return it to home depot, (12 yrs. ago) but waited too long.

If I remember correctly I called weber, but never got it running right, and just mostly used a weber kettle. The unit still looks ok, and it is built very good, so I think it's worth fixing. I mostly use it for cooking chicken legs in the wire frames indirectly.

Thanks to all for the info!

Frank

Hi Pat,

I live at lake hemet in so. cal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Frank -

Where do you live, if you don't mind my asking.

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shoot - I was going to offer to come over and check it out, but I was in SoCal over New Year's for the first time in about 35 years - I doubt I'll make it back anytime soon.

Pat

Back