Knife Recommendation...

Bob Bass

TVWBB Gold Member
I dearly love my wife. Not only is she a great mother, my best friend
and a loving wife, but she is also quick to the rescue. It is to this last
attribute that brings me to the point of this thread.

My favorite bbq tool is the Victorinox Forschner 8" Black Fibrox Breaking Knife
that is NSF certified. Does an great job when trimming meats. And that front
end, yup... the point, does a great job on palm of hand amongst other duties.
Thankfully Maryann had the presence of mind to bring closure to my issue at hand
and prevented a potential blood bath.

Does anyone have a recommended knife with somewhat the same attributes but minus the
point, of course.

sign me, The Klutz

Whenever I have anything sharp in my hand, I tell myself to "slow the f*** down"!!! :D I have too many scars to show my carelessness with blades of all types. A cutting glove might be of some value (I've never seen or used one, but they're out there for a reason!).

My go-to fave is my Victorinox Fibrox 6" boning knife (not the one that's the straight spine, but the swept back spine). These get used by order of magnitude above anything else. I have 12 of them between our competition bins and home. It allows us to keep moving when we have a ton of trimming, and everything else, to do. I put 'em in a bin and clean them and steel them once we hit a lull, and we keep trading 'em out. They're cheap, and awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CF94L/?tag=TVWB-20

I have the same knife.. but don't use it much. What do you want your knife to do/cut?

The easiest fix is just round off the tip with a rough stone, belt sander, or grinder. Don't have either, use a cinder block or the sidewalk.

Thanks Guys. Very much appreciate the guidance!

In case I need it (the 10" breaking knife) sometime in the future, it will be put away in a 'safe' place ;)
Just using the wrong tool for the right job, or is that the right tool for the wrong job ??? ;)

Will be buying both the boning knife and the shorter 8" breaking knife.
These were also suggested over on the CBBQA forum site.

I did learn they do make a blunted point breaking knife... SO, if all else fails... ;)

Mike... SOOOO true !
I was between cuts and wasn't watching carefully...

Thanks again.

Bob

Last edited:
John,

The 10" breaking knife does an excellent job when trimming large areas. No 'chop' marks, just a single clean trim.
Was seriously looking at taking my woodworking waterstones to it. Have a high speed bench grinder, but considering the chance of missiles.... One point is bad enough <g>
There may be a need in the future for the current knife, so off to safe keeping until then.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob

Bob, if you really like that knife maybe you can take the point down a little . File it down a little.

Peter

Every person have there great suggestion and the experiences as well .I just get a deal from eBay this last month for the kitchen knife in $9.99..Knife blades and handles are all in excellent condition. Scissors have some cracking on the handle..its German made kitchen knife set..

My favorite bbq tool is the Victorinox Forschner 8" Black Fibrox Breaking Knife
that is NSF certified. Does an great job when trimming meats. And that front
end, yup... the point, does a great job on palm of hand amongst other duties.

I've got that same knife and it gets the heaviest duty in the kitchen. Great feel and balance; holds an edge decently and I can get it razor sharp with my Chefs Choice 110. Sorry to hear that you tested the sharpness of the point against your hand! Bummer - if that were me I might consider grinding off the point as others have mentioned before giving up the knife.

Back