Ambient Temp Question

DylanNC

TVWBB Member
I am doing my first cook with the Heatermeter, i have noticed that theambient temp has continued to rise the whole time, it is currently around 106 degrees, the outside temp is in the low 80's. Should I be concerned about this.

Last edited:
Nah, if it is in the sun or in an enclosure the ambient can get pretty high. It's not really in a great place to measure the true ambient temperature, but it can give you an idea if it is cold outside or not.

I noticed the same thing, figured the heat from the smoker near by was helping the HM+rPi push the temperature up inside the enclosure. I don't have a proper enclosure yet, but when I do I plan to poke the thermistor outside of the case.

I noticed the same thing, figured the heat from the smoker near by was helping the HM+rPi push the temperature up inside the enclosure. I don't have a proper enclosure yet, but when I do I plan to poke the thermistor outside of the case.

with no case & in open air, slight wind, upwind from smoker, the ambient thermister read ~6* higher than the 62* outside temp after getting everything stabilized. Inside my lego case, it gets up to about 8* higher while inside the house. I either adjust the offset & know that it won't be right at first, or ignore it completely (it's useful for when you first get started with a new HM & calibrating probes). Mouser was out of stock when I last ordered parts, so #2 won't have it at all.

with no case & in open air, slight wind, upwind from smoker, the ambient thermistor read ~6* higher than the 62* outside temp after getting everything stabilized. Inside my lego case, it gets up to about 8* higher while inside the house. I either adjust the offset & know that it won't be right at first, or ignore it completely (it's useful for when you first get started with a new HM & calibrating probes). Mouser was out of stock when I last ordered parts, so #2 won't have it at all.

Mouser was out of the thermistor when I ordered as well, but Digikey had plenty in stock so I just ordered from them. Actually, there were a couple out of stock items at Mouser I got from Digikey, and one out of stock item at Digikey that I got from Mouser. Just search the part number and you should find it, sorry if it's too late for your order....

Back