More wifi issues

s fortin

rPi with Hynix chip and wifi

Let me start off saying thanks to Bryan for all his hard work and insight into the Heatermeter.
I've been messing with mine for over a week, and just today finally was able to access the heatermeter web page. Seems the problem with mine was the rPi B has the Hynix chip, and I after searching, I found here that to get the board and rPi to talk to each other that I needed to change start.elf and bootcode.bin files with those from Rasbian. Ah Ha, success. I was(notice I said was) finally able to reach the Heatermeter website.
Now that I'm stoked that I'm finally making progress, I decide to set up my airlink wifi dongle with my network. I follow the steps in the How To section and get as far as step 9, but I'm unable to get my ipaddress to show in the indicated area. Well.......at the bottom of the How To page RJ mentions he had the same prob, and went to the advanced tab of the LAN and unchecked the auto start option and reboots the device. Sounds simple right.
And here is where things go wrong. I uncheck the box, reboot everything, but now I'm unable to connect to the heatermeter website.
I mess and mess with it to no avail, and I noticed during reboots, that I'm seeing more code being printed on the screen. I'm a fairly smart person, so I know that when I messed around on the website, that I changed some parameters to the heatermeter. After doing more searching I know that I can force a reflash my Atmega chip with " avrupdate /lib/firmware/hm.hex" and that should fix everything, and I'll be back in business.
WRONG!!!
And this is where I am stuck now. The heatermeter works, and so does the rPi, but I'm unable to access anything thru the web. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry this is such a long post, just trying to give all the info I can.

Last edited:
I had some of the same problems, I changed power supply and everything is working fine. Make sure your power suply has atleast 1amp output.

Let me start off saying thanks to Bryan for all his hard work and insight into the Heatermeter.
I've been messing with mine for over a week, and just today finally was able to access the heatermeter web page. Seems the problem with mine was the rPi B has the Hynix chip, and I after searching, I found here that to get the board and rPi to talk to each other that I needed to change start.elf and bootcode.bin files with those from Rasbian. Ah Ha, success. I was(notice I said was) finally able to reach the Heatermeter website.
Now that I'm stoked that I'm finally making progress, I decide to set up my airlink wifi dongle with my network. I follow the steps in the How To section and get as far as step 9, but I'm unable to get my ipaddress to show in the indicated area. Well.......at the bottom of the How To page RJ mentions he had the same prob, and went to the advanced tab of the LAN and unchecked the auto start option and reboots the device. Sounds simple right.
And here is where things go wrong. I uncheck the box, reboot everything, but now I'm unable to connect to the heatermeter website.
I mess and mess with it to no avail, and I noticed during reboots, that I'm seeing more code being printed on the screen. I'm a fairly smart person, so I know that when I messed around on the website, that I changed some parameters to the heatermeter. After doing more searching I know that I can force a reflash my Atmega chip with " avrupdate /lib/firmware/hm.hex" and that should fix everything, and I'll be back in business.
WRONG!!!
And this is where I am stuck now. The heatermeter works, and so does the rPi, but I'm unable to access anything thru the web. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry this is such a long post, just trying to give all the info I can.

The LAN and WiFi are part of the rPi (not the HM), so it would be my advice that you blank your SD card and write that again with the original program. As you say, flashing the HM board doesn't fix the LAN settings cause they are stored on the SD card (not the Atmega). I think there is a file somewhere on the SD card that you could edit manually to change the LAN settings, but it would prob just be easier to erase it and start again from scratch, at least that's what I would do.....

The file to delete to prevent the configuration restore is /mnt/mmcblck0p4/backup.tar.gz

After you delete it, do not reboot! Pull the plug and flash the clean image immediately. If you reboot, it will make a new backup and thwart your plans.

Back