Error sending data

Shane S

I think I've missed something here. I've configured my HM to connect to my home network via wireless with static IP. Port 443 in my router is forwarded to the the HM's IP (apparently port 80 is blocked by my ISP, Cox Communications). Dynamic DNS is being handled by DynDNS.org, which (sadly) is no longer free.

Accessing the heatermeater from outside the network is a little spotty. It works, but about 75% of the time a new page load will hang until I hit "refresh" in my browser. This is especially true for logging into the OpenWRT configuration page; I have to enter the username and password, let it choke on it for a bit, then hit refresh, and then it will come up like nothing was ever wrong. The system log confirms that there is some sort of data error:

I suspect that I mucked something up when I set up static IP in OpenWRT. I say that because my router's DHCP client list shows that the HM is assigned to 192.168.1.102, which is the IP address that was assigned automatically before I manually set to static IP 192.168.1.149. This is in spite of the fact that everything is working as if the HM is at 192.168.1.149; it displays on the LCD at startup and I can access it both inside and outside of the network.

Any idea what that data error is about?

Last edited:
What happens with my router is that if a new IP address gets assigned to the device, the router keeps both in its DNS for some reason. This is the same situation you're describing and what happens is every other DNS lookup goes to the wrong IP address which just sits there and hangs, you refresh and get the other IP and things work great. It's called "round robining" and the only solution is to get your router to remove the incorrect entry. You can see if this is the case by accessing the device strictly by IP http://192.168.2.149/luci/lm/ it should zip all around without any hangs.

On my router they persist through reboots too so that didn't help. I had to go into a list named Advanced -> DNS Server, which had a list of all the IP addresses it had given out and manually delete both the entries, then reboot the HeaterMeter.

"Error sending data to..." is a normal thing. When you're streaming status updates the HTTP connection stays open until you navigate away, at which point LuCI said "Hey I was still sending that guy data!" and logs the error.

Thanks! That's very helpful. Unfortunately, since Cox Comm has subsequently blocked port 443 on my connection the "round robin" issue has become moot. I haven't called to complain and it's possible that they misinterpreted the unsecured traffic on the port as a worm or something, but I have a work-around. It's janky, but by using a free "Go-to-my-PC" type service, I can remotely access my home computer, which can then be used to access the HeaterMeter from within my home network. Take that, Cox.

I also caught your tip somewhere about giving Google's DNS server IP's to the HeaterMeter's static IP setup page and it now wakes up with the correct time and date.
Did my first brisket smoke on the new setup last Sunday and it was great!

In my router (an Actiontec 1000 or something like that) I can set a "static" dynamic IP address - essentially, every time it sees the MAC address of my heatermeter, it assigns it the same IP address. If you can do that, it will avoid the "stale" IP assignments that you're running into.

Alright guys, I was going to leave it alone, but your posts have reignited the deep and abiding need to control my smoker from my desk at work. :p

My router is an ancient Linksys WRT54G, at least 11 years old. It was still running the original firmware, which only allowed port forwarding to an IP, no port-to-port re-routing. I took a deep breath and upgraded to the most recent firmware... and 10 minutes later I'm able to access the HM from outside the network! Best part is, the "stale" IP issue seems to be resolved as well; it loads right up with no hangs. Thanks for the tip!

Alright guys, I was going to leave it alone, but your posts have reignited the deep and abiding need to control my smoker from my desk at work. :p

My router is an ancient Linksys WRT54G, at least 11 years old. It was still running the original firmware, which only allowed port forwarding to an IP, no port-to-port re-routing. I took a deep breath and upgraded to the most recent firmware... and 10 minutes later I'm able to access the HM from outside the network! Best part is, the "stale" IP issue seems to be resolved as well; it loads right up with no hangs. Thanks for the tip!

Depending on the revision, you could REALLY upgrade that router with DDWRT or Tomato firmware. I have 2 older than dirt wrt54g routers still chugging along, the only reason they aren't my main router is that I needed to move up to 1Gb to transfer DVD & BluRay rips between PC & server.

Back