Who's making/selling cases?

RalphTrimble

TVWBB Diamond Member
I just finished my HM+rPi this week and love it, currently it resides in one of the cardboard boxes the parts came in with the display sticking out the side....
At this point I think it's time to look into a case of some sort. I was going to rig something up myself from a generic project box, but since 3D printers are all the rage and other forum members have created such nice cases with them I thought I should ask if anyone has a case for sale, if so, how much?
I have the rPi vB and the regular two line display....
Thanks

I ordered mine from Matt Miller here on the boards. He had it to me in 3 days and only charges $25 + 5 shipping. So for $30 you can have a perfect fitting case in a variety of colors. You can see a bunch of the cases on the boards here.

There is a thread devoted to 3d printing of the case. See the first page of that thread for details. You basically just PM me or Matt with the color and quantity. A mod should probably make that thread a sticky.

There is a thread devoted to 3d printing of the case. See the first page of that thread for details. You basically just PM me or Matt with the color and quantity. A mod should probably make that thread a sticky.

Are you and Matt making the same style cases? I think I found the thread you referenced yesterday, it was a long thread that started out from the beginning with the development of the 3d printed case. Some of the cases I saw were square, others had the 4 screws on the corner. Is there more than one type of case available? Also, I didn't see what the cost of a case would be?
Thanks for all your efforts...

Yes, we both make the screw kind now. The screwless one was an old design.

I actually kinda prefer the more square shaped case, but they are both very nice. I'm wondering if a 3D printer can print clear plastic? It would be nice to have a fairly weatherproof cover in case there's a little rain...

Is the case surface ribbed or smooth? I have a friend that does vinyl vehicle wraps. He would be able to make custom skins for cases if they were smooth.

It depends. You can control that a couple of ways, such as lowering the first layer height. I've made some smooth, some textured.

There are clear plastic filaments available but I've never printed with them. I'm not so sure how transparent they will be once printed and what sort of distortion there will be due to the print lines.

I have some prototypes I've been working on for the square case to hide the screws because I kind of prefer that look too, but it hasn't been that high on my priority list lately. I have a vacation coming up so i'll probably devote some time to it then.

There are clear plastic filaments available but I've never printed with them. I'm not so sure how transparent they will be once printed and what sort of distortion there will be due to the print lines.

I have some prototypes I've been working on for the square case to hide the screws because I kind of prefer that look too, but it hasn't been that high on my priority list lately. I have a vacation coming up so I'll probably devote some time to it then.

That would be kool. I would think there should be somewhere you could put two screws to hold things together on the case, though the square one does seem a bit tight. I guess you could blow the whole case out a tiny bit wider in one dimension so you can fit in the screws....

Right now I have my HM in a disposable tupper wear bowl, kinda funky but it gets the job done. It is fairly water proof but I can't access the button while it's in there so I have to do everything via computer. Was kinda looking forward to getting it into a case, but I may cool my jets a bit and wait for you to get the time to work on a new square design... Let me know when you've got something together please.
Thanks

I have some prototypes I've been working on for the square case to hide the screws because I kind of prefer that look too, but it hasn't been that high on my priority list lately. I have a vacation coming up so i'll probably devote some time to it then.

I just looked over the 3d case design thread and noticed your post showing a square two screw design. I am wondering if you ever printed any of them up, if so, how did it work out?
If that didn't work out I had been thinking, instead of having screwed from the top to the bottom, you could print a block of plastic on both sides (either top or bottom) that extends to the face of the other side, then make a hole in the side where a screw could go into that block (on two sides of the case). Hope that wasn't too confusing.....

I just looked over the 3d case design thread and noticed your post showing a square two screw design. I am wondering if you ever printed any of them up, if so, how did it work out?
If that didn't work out I had been thinking, instead of having screwed from the top to the bottom, you could print a block of plastic on both sides (either top or bottom) that extends to the face of the other side, then make a hole in the side where a screw could go into that block (on two sides of the case). Hope that wasn't too confusing.....

I printed that one a while ago and I wasn't thrilled with just having the 2 screws in opposite corners. The problem with expanding the sides is that you start to have difficulty with attaching probes and other sorts of things. I guess I could just sacrifice the HDMI side because I can't imagine many are using it.

Back