Scary find Cleaning Grill *****

Jeff Brown (KY)

TVWBB Super Fan
A few days ago I gave my EP-330 it's first thorough cleaning since last fall. I have a tendency to slack off on the cleaning during the winter months. After pulling the grates out, inspecting to getting a feel for what needed to be done came the shock. There were HUNDREDS of pieces of wires from my cleaning brushes stuck to the grates(mostly underneath), on the flavorizer bars and on the heat shields. I was in shock! This really scared me thinking about what could have happened! No telling how many may have been eaten and we just got lucky.

Of course the first thing I did was through away my cheap brushes. I bought a Weber three sided brush but am still very leery now. You can guarantee no more cheap just-to-get-buy brushes and my grates and grill will get checked and cleaned much more often! What an eye-opener! Will probably start to look for acceptable alternative means to clean my grates.

Last edited:
Was a few incidents last year when ppl had to remove them by surgery! Scary for sure. You dont want those nails in your food!

Trust me you don't want those metal bristles to get in your digestive system. My daughter has a dog who will eat anything.
He is a big Irish Setter and Curly Coated Retriever mix. Her grill brush was in the sink to be washed and he got up in there
while she was at work and ate the brush. Steel bristles and plastic handle. It turned out to be about $1600.00 to save him
and he almost did not make it. Use the Weber brass bristle on twisted wire brush and the bristles stay attached to the brush
where they belong. It looks pretty much dog proof too!

this has been brought up a lot lately. i gave up on all brushes years ago. i now use a ss painters brush. they don't break and if they do its rare. but like anything, after you scrub with the brush you need to get a small towel or paper towel and soak in oil and scrub the grates with that. it will clean up any yuck plus any stray wire. others have said they use crumpled up foil to clean.

I have found some grill scrubbies like the nylon ones for dishes but in steel. I've also found a few different types of pads.
From what I'm reading now a lot of people have ditched the brushes in favor of wads of foil.

I like this one and it has held up very well. I buy replacement SS pads at Smart & Final.

618j1cOKW2L.jpg

I like that brush Pete, that's kind of what I have in mind to switch to.
I am definitely moving away from bristle brushes.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of luck with the 15 dollar "grill daddy." It dispenses water and creates steam when cleaning hot grates. Just thought I'd mention it.

I use the triangular Weber brush and a standard head regular brush and both are great with no problems. Of course metal chips in food could explain my kids behavior.

I just use a 1/4" open end wrench and some paper towels on my OTG & WSM stock grates.
Works like a charm on scraping any build up crud.

Tim

I only used the Weber Wire brush three times and never again.

Reason as I have been using cast iron cooking pans and black iron Woks for to many years I know what happens if you clean them too much with a wire brush "RUST"

I have one black iron pan that belonged to my Grandmother (died over 75 years ago)then my mother also deceased many years ago and not one sign of rust.

All I do now is as soon as I have finished cooking and the meat is resting I take it off and lay the grill grate on a large piece of wood and scrub it with a very stiff bristle scrubbing brush.

The turn it over and repeat.

Next I wipe it down with a paper towel that I have poured a little cooking oil on it.

This cleans it and protects it at the same time.

Its still hot not wet and perfectly clean.

If it every requires a very good cleaning I will use a pressure hose to remove any gunk.

Get it hot immediately then wipe it with a paper towel and cooking oil.

Keith:):)

Back