Fan looses power

Dan Francis

TVWBB Fan
After getting wifi sorted out I plugged fan in for first time. No joy. Checking I get 12 volts after booting up at the fan jack but as soon as I plug in fan volts go to basically 0 and stay there even after unplugging fan. I have to reboot with fan unplugged to get 12 volts back at the plug. The fan works fine when connecting to a 12 volt source, there are no shorts in the fan wiring. I have used a 12 volt 6 amp power supply with the same result and have resoldered the mofset as that's the only blower component I'm familiar with. Anybody have any idea which component(s) would cause this? Thanks. Dan

I saw very similar behavior and realized that I had placed the mosfet on the board wrong. You may want to double check the picture in the instructions for that step is taken directly above it so its hard to tell which way goes up

Components that can heat up like a MOSFET use the metal part to dissipate heat, often times they bolt down to a heat sync or metal object with the metal tab snug against it to transfer heat. In this case the fan isn't drawing enough current to heat up this MOSFET to worry about, but the component is still oriented in the proper fashion so the metal tab would press down flat against the printed outline on the board.... but you've figured that out already I see! Just thought I would add that info in case someone else has this problem and finds this thread.

and just for the hell of it, something else you don't need to know... MOSFET = Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor

Last edited:

Back